VM CPU Frequency not matching CPU Frequency in Datacenter

neuterscooter

Aug 8, 2024
Hello this is my first post, and I tried looking for this issue elsewhere but couldnt find anything. I recently got GPU passthrough to work and have a windows 10 VM with 8 cores and 32 GB of RAM. I have 2 Intel 6130 gold CPUs in a workstation and am trying to increase their clock speed to test out the feasibility of having my friends log in and use it. I used a CPU affinity to bind the VM to certain cores, and when i output the frequency, they are running at ~3.1 GHz, but in the Windows VM, it only says 2.2 GHz (The CPU Base Clock is 2.2 GHz) . I'm pretty new to passthrough, as well as server grade CPUs in Proxmox, so it may be a misconfiguration, but is anyone able to help me out?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-01 023132.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-01 023132.png
    109 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-10-01 023638.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-01 023638.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-10-01 023809.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-01 023809.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 5
The Taskmanager in a Windows VM shows only the base clock. Do a little benchmark with a current version of 7zip for example and you'll see it's all good.
Edit: Your CPU affinity is set to hyper threading cores only. Is this on purpose?
Your "real" cores are from 0 - 31. Everything above are those HT cores.
You can check that quick with cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/topology/thread_siblings_list | sort | uniq
First number is the real core, the second is the HT core.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!