[SOLVED] VM: cannot access '/dev/bus': No such file or directory

May 18, 2019
Varies
I have a VM created from jammy-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk-kvm.img (for `Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.15.0-1013-kvm x86_64)`) with the agent applied via `virt-customize -a /mnt/storage/backups-pve/template/iso/jammy-server-cloudimg-amd64-disk-kvm.img --install qemu-guest-agent`

pve is fully current.

i successfully attached a (non storage) USB device to the vm, as visible in the qm monitor via `info usb` (it shows connected to the VM in the monitor but the host's `lsusb` also shows it)

but the VM doesn't even have a `/dev/bus` dir, so `lsusb` and others come up empty. what do I need to do to get the VM to make /dev/bus? I'd think t-shooting anything else at this point would be futile.

inside the vm:
Code:
strace lsusb 2>&1 | grep ^open | grep usb
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libusb-1.0.so.0", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/dev/bus/usb", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_CLOEXEC|O_DIRECTORY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Code:
# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/202.conf
agent: enabled=1
boot: c
bootdisk: scsi0
cipassword:
ciuser: ubuntu
cores: 2
cpu: host
ide2: zfs-storage-sdx5:vm-202-cloudinit,media=cdrom
ipconfig0: ip=10.10.10.x/24,gw=10.10.10.1
memory: 4096
meta: creation-qemu=6.2.0,ctime=1658344197
name: signer
net0: virtio=F6:D0:D9:85:A5:F7,bridge=vmbr1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
protection: 1
scsi0: zfs-storage-sdx5:vm-202-disk-0,size=14540M
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
serial0: socket
serial1: socket
smbios1: uuid=cd118f86-34a2-4c3d-b0ac-2f3da5ce5454
sockets: 1
==> usb0: host=xxxx:xxxx <==
vga: serial0
vmgenid: 0d0422e0-f60d-4740-aa7f-f74b6c4383ea

`systemd-udevd` is running fine on both VM and guest. I have another VM (Ubuntu 18) that successfully connects to the same USB device. i've tried regenerating the cloudinit drive.

Last edited:
Does the following sysfs entry exist: ls /sys/bus/usb/* as that isn't created by user space tools like udev and if it's empty I'd figure that the VM kernel either has the relevant USB support not built-in or the respective kernel modules either ain't loaded (automatically) or do not exist.

IMO the issue is inside the VM, I don't think a config change on PVE side can resolve this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!