VM boot issue VMware ESXi migration to Proxmox

bL4w3r

Jul 22, 2024
Good afternoon,

I have a problem booting a Windows Server 2012 that I have migrated with the ‘Proxmox’ option from VMWare ESXi. When I boot the virtual machine, it doesn't seem to initialise and sends me to the recovery process.

I have tried changing the CPU type, the SCSI driver, installing the VirtoO drivers, but to no avail.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

PD: I attach screenshot about my issue and VM configuration.

Attachments

• Snipaste_2024-07-22_13-20-25.png
    Snipaste_2024-07-22_13-20-25.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Snipaste_2024-07-22_13-31-17.png
    Snipaste_2024-07-22_13-31-17.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 10
The one single 2012(R2 to be precise) VM that we have/had also had a lot of trouble migrating and installing drivers and such.
We currently have the drive set to sata (not scsi0 like in your screenshot) and with driver-signature check disabled during boot (but according to one post [1] that can be fixed with a different set of drivers, maybe those drivers installed before migration help for you as well?).

First of all, do you still have that ESX/W2012-server?
And do you have the option to migrate through other methods, for example a bare-metal recovery using an ISO on the VM's migrated hardware?

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/server-2012r2-from-xen.151053/#post-683421

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!