VM + 110 VLANs

Darek

Jan 18, 2017
Hello. Sorry for my English. On the CT Proxmox I installed Hosted Cloud Router (Mikrotik). It will be used as a hub PPPoE. I need to add to his 110 VLANs but Proxmox allows me to only adding 32 VLANs. How to CT Proxmox I add more than 32 VLANs?

Could you please explain your setup and state why you need to run 110 VLANs? That's monstrous!

Average class switch web-access for $ 50 supports 4000 VLANs. I do not understand what is so terrible about 110 VLAN-ah. In my network, each of the VLANs to separate a block of flats

Its a bit dated, but there is a blog explaing how to run Mikrotik RouterOS as a VM (KVM) under Proxmox here: http://www.linux-howto.info/configu...-kvm-virtual-machine-on-ovh-dedicated-server/

I don't know if it will help you but I used this in the past to launch RouterOS and do some limited testing.

Network IO performance sucks, of course, because there are no Virtio drivers in the Mikrotik image.

I wanted to test this solution. I regret that Proxmox has a limited amount of VLANs per VM. And I have to buy another CCR

Can you do the VLANs inside of the VM? I have a pfSense VM running and pass it 2 interfaces, eth0 and eth1.

eth1 is the vmbr for the WAN which only pfSense has an IP for (or IPv6). and eth0 is on a vmbr with VLAN awareness enabled.

Inside of the VM I setup VLANs which are on eth0. This means Proxmox only has to worry about 2 virtual insterfaces and all the VLAN trunking is done in the VM.

Did you try to add 110 network interfaces?
The limit isn't Proxmox, per se. The limit is with KVM and the way it presents virtual "hardware" to the VM. The interface simulates the PCI bus and there is a limit of 32 devices that you can attach.

You could present a single interface with all of the VLANs trunked on it and let the VM's NIC driver sort it out. But since he is using a "package" from Mikrotik its doubtful that this would work - and he wont have the opportunity to replace drivers, etc.

Unfortunately this may be a case where just buying the additional CCR is the best choice. They aren't that expensive.

Mikrotik is a pretty good RouterOS (pun intended) so I cant imagine they dont do subinterfaces for trunking

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!