VLANs not working through Fortiswitch 1048E

Oct 15, 2021
Hello!

I'm trying to get VLAN tagging working on a 8-node Proxmox cluster with little luck. I would really appreciate any advice. I'm using a Fortigate 1048E and have isolated 2 nodes for testing for now. On the relevant ports I have VLANs 503,504, and 505 set as "Allowed" and discard-mode set to none.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 18.29.27.png

I've created Linux bridges on the physical ports and Linux VLANs as well. For testing I now have IPs on the Linux VLANs:

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 18.32.14.png
Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 18.32.46.png

Both vmbr0's have VLAN Aware checked.

I cannot ping between these two IPs. When I do a tcpdump I can see tagged frames on the vmbr0 interface, but nothing on the physical interface (ens20d1 in this case). The switch shows no traffic at all coming from those ports.

I've also tried tagging on VMs and LXCs with the same result. If I have the VMs and LXCs on the same node everything works, but as soon as I put them on different nodes it stops.

Should I see the 802.1q tagged frames on the physical interface?
With discard-mode set to none on these ports, that should be right? docs
What is the proper way to setup VLANs? I thought the VLAN Aware button just made everything easy.
Should I be using OVS instead?

Node1:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface ens20d1 inet manual

iface ens20 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 10.x.y.25/24
    gateway 10.x.y.1
    bridge-ports ens20d1
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    bridge-vlan-aware yes
    bridge-vids 2-4094
#internal

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
    bridge-ports ens20
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    bridge-vlan-aware yes
    bridge-vids 2-4094
#external

auto vmbr0.503
iface vmbr0.503 inet static
    address 192.168.1.78/24

Node 2:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface ens20d1 inet manual

iface ens20 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 10.x.y.26/24
    gateway 10.x.y.1
    bridge-ports ens20d1
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    bridge-vlan-aware yes
    bridge-vids 2-4094
#internal

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
    bridge-ports ens20
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    bridge-vlan-aware yes
    bridge-vids 2-4094
#external

auto vmbr0.503
iface vmbr0.503 inet static
    address 192.168.1.79/24

Last edited:
This is looking more like some kind of bug. I switched the bridge type from a Linux Bridge to an OVS Bridge and it just started working. Tagged frames can now be seen on the physical port as well.

Why would Linux Bridges not work? I understood they were the preferred method over OVS Bridges. Are there drawbacks to my new setup?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!