vlan handling on both the host, and the vm

X

xulfer

Is this possible? I have the vlans working fine on the host. I can assign guests to various bridges in order to give access to certain vlans. I'd also like to be able to handle the vlans in a guest if necessary. Is it possible to have it both ways in either KVM or OpenVZ containers?

I've tried myself, but I haven't had much luck as of yet. All I've done so far is created a bridge to the raw interface and used that in the creation of my guest. No dice in talking with the vlans however. Suggestions?

Okay, so I went ahead and pulled another trunk to the Proxmox machine I've been testing this on. I created a bridge that only included the raw trunked interface in its bridge ports. Created a new guest machine using that bridge, but alas still couldn't access the vlans.

I spoke with some helpful people in #kvm, and searched the lists. Most suggested that I use -pcidevice with the kvm guest. This works, but bridging should also be possible. It just seems to be fairly undocumented. Perhaps pci passthrough / trunking support additions into Proxmox are necessary? I don't mind handling the vlans in the host and passing the bridges into the guests but there are several problems with this approach.

1. We have way more than ten vlans that need to be passed to some machines. This is a very large environment/network.

2. As you can tell from above, this would become extremely tedious and adding guests would become quite the chore.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have been trying to figure this out myself and for the exact same reasons. It would definitely be tedious to create a bridge device for every vlan and then configure each system with multiple bridged nics instead of sending it all in and letting the guest decide which ones to pickup on. Has anything changed in the last few years? Is this possible and I'm just missing a setting? Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!