VLAN Aware - minimum requirements for VLAN to function?

RafterX

Jul 3, 2024
SOLVED!
Hi all.
I have a running proxmox on a Intel NUC, with many VM's and containers. All working fine, connected to the native LAN.
But I want one of my newly created container's to be in a VLAN.
VLAN is created on a fysical pfsense box, and I have 3 working VLAN already, that some of my other network units use. The Linksys 8 port switch is also setup with VLAN.
The proxmox is ticked on with "VLAN aware" in pve01 -> Network -> vmbr0 Linux Bridge.
The newly created container is given the VLAN tag 40 in the Container -> Network -> VLAN Tag:
The container does not use Firewall(ticked off in Network Device details).
I also tried VLAN 40 on one of the other containers, same problem.
Right now, the container gets IP address within the VLAN 40 dhcp range, but have no access to internet, cannot ping anything.
I cannot rule out to have made a mistake in the switch or somewhere else, but I need to know if the above settings is supposed to be enough on the PROXMOX side of the VLAN configuration?

I would appreciate any help on this, thank you :)

Last edited:
SOLVED!
The answer is YES. The setup in proxmox is correct :)
The problem was Firewall/NAT/Outbound in pfSense was changed from Automatic Outbound to Manual Outbound, which means the new VLAN interface was not added to WAN access like the other interfaces. I had to do it manually. DOH

Have fun with proxmox y'all :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!