Virtual nodes(kvm) are not visible from host network

P

Pavel Shevaev

Hi!

I installed Proxmox VE 2.1 and setup a virtual kvm node with Centos-6.3 on the host. Everything went pretty smooth, except one part - the virtual node is not accessible from the network.

I'm trying the simplest bridged networking mode as described in the first section of http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model . Since my hosting provider doesn't mind having multiple MACs attached to the interface that's probably the best way to go.

On the host machine I have 4 NICs(eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3). They are bonded into 2 interfaces bond0, bond1: bond0 -> LAN, bond1 -> WAN.

I also asked the hosting provider for additional IPs which I would assign to virtual nodes.

I attached bond1 to vmbr0 as follows:

Code:
auto bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
       bond-slaves eth1 eth3
       bond-mode 4
       bond-miimon 100
       bond-downdelay 200
       bond-updelay 200

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
       address <ADDRESS>
       netmask <MASK>
       gateway <GATEWAY>
       bridge_ports bond1
       bridge_stp off
       bridge_fd 0
       pre-up ifup bond1
       post-down ifdown bond1
Where <ADDRESS> is the public IP of the host machine. I can connect to the host machine, everything seems OK.

Once I created the virtual node I setup its eth0 interface to use one of the secondary IPs provided by the hosting provider. However I can't ping neither this virtual node from the hosting machine nor hosting machine from within the virtual node. And of course the virtual node is not accessible from the outside world at all.

I've tested these additional IPs by unbonding the interfaces on the host box and assigning one of the IPs to one of the interfaces. The host machine is reachable from the outside.

Any helpful advice would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

I installed Proxmox VE 2.1 and setup a virtual kvm node with Centos-6.3 on the host. Everything went pretty smooth, except one part - the virtual node is not accessible from the network.

I'm trying the simplest bridged networking mode as described in the first section of http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model . Since my hosting provider doesn't mind having multiple MACs attached to the interface that's probably the best way to go.

On the host machine I have 4 NICs(eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3). They are bonded into 2 interfaces bond0, bond1: bond0 -> LAN, bond1 -> WAN.

I also asked the hosting provider for additional IPs which I would assign to virtual nodes.

I attached bond1 to vmbr0 as follows:

Code:
auto bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
       bond-slaves eth1 eth3
       bond-mode 4
       bond-miimon 100
       bond-downdelay 200
       bond-updelay 200

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
       address <ADDRESS>
       netmask <MASK>
       gateway <GATEWAY>
       bridge_ports bond1
       bridge_stp off
       bridge_fd 0
       pre-up ifup bond1
       post-down ifdown bond1
Where <ADDRESS> is the public IP of the host machine. I can connect to the host machine, everything seems OK.

Once I created the virtual node I setup its eth0 interface to use one of the secondary IPs provided by the hosting provider. However I can't ping neither this virtual node from the hosting machine nor hosting machine from within the virtual node. And of course the virtual node is not accessible from the outside world at all.

I've tested these additional IPs by unbonding the interfaces on the host box and assigning one of the IPs to one of the interfaces. The host machine is reachable from the outside.

Any helpful advice would be highly appreciated.
Hi,
if you unbond vmbr0 and create an new bridge for the VM does it works?
Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
       address <ADDRESS>
       netmask <MASK>
       gateway <GATEWAY>
       bridge_ports eth1
       bridge_stp off
       bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
       address 0.0.0.0
        netmask 0.0.0.0
        bridge_ports eth3
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
You must of cource change the network of the Vm to vmbr1.

Udo

I wanted to try your advice, but it doesn't work :( eth3 can't be added to the bridge for some reason, looks like brctl exits with an error:

"can't add eth3 to bridge vmbr1: Value too large for defined data type"

Meanwhile, I tried OpenVZ container and.... I can ping it and it can ping the host machine! Furthermore, it's accessible from the outside world. I'm pulling out my hair....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!