Virtual networking config with lacp for use within guest os (OPNSense)

tblomega

Aug 28, 2020
Hi guys,

So my proxmox box is the first physical box in my network and has a quad port NIC plus a motherboard NIC, inside a HP T730 thin client.
It is running OPNSense as the router (PFSense is there but not on/auto-booted by default as I preferred OPN), along with 3 other vms for adguard home/ Ubiquity Controller/ apache2.

For OPNSense though the virtual NIC performance seems to cap at 10/100/1000 and I wanted to try as a experiment to use network bonding to increase that I am not sold on any protocol but LACP seems the best supported including by the cisco switch I use in the real world but that is for the second half of my plan for which documentation is actually easily found...

Anyways, I started by assigning 3 more virtual NIC's to my OPNSense VM, went into OPNSense and bonded them with LACP, enabled the interface with a static ip address separate from the main one (so I wouldn't lose access). Then I tried to do literally anything with the new ip address, but for naught.

I assumed, and still do, that wherever the configuration is for the virtual NIC's in proxmox that they also need to be told to bind them with LACP.

There is documentation a-plenty about /etc/networks/interfaces and doing this kind of thing for the real world ports, which is the phase 2 of this plan between the proxbox and my Cisco 2960-s 48 port switch, but first I am trying to get all things virtual sorted to have a comparable cyberspace configuration to the planned real world one.

All of the named bits use VMBR0 which is the lan side of things, VMBR1 is the WAN side of things and the only vm that has access to that is OPNSense.

The end goal is a 3 way bond between the switch and the proxmox box, and a 3 way virtual Bond between the guest VM (specifically OPNsense) and the host.

Thanks in advance

For OPNSense though the virtual NIC performance seems to cap at 10/100/1000
Is any of your NICs 10G? If not, it's correct that way. But if it's 10G try another network model (vmxnet3, intel1000 or whatever).

How about you bond your quad port NIC into a single bond with e.g. LACP and do the same for your switch.
Notice however, Cisco needs an even number of ports to work properly, so if you're bonding 3 ports into a single bundle, only two of them are working at the same time.
Add the newly created bond to a vmbr and add that to your OPNsense (finally someone using this instead of pfsense - preferring OPN too ;) ).
In all my settings the port in OPNsense is shown as a 10G link.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!