Virtual Machine Hardware Question

Astraea

Renowned Member
Aug 25, 2018
I am wanting to know if this is currently possible or if this would even be worth implementing if it is not possible with the current ProxmoxVE release. This will, unfortunately, be a bit of a long post but ill try and be as concise as possible.

Server Background: I have ProxmoxVE (currently 7.1-1) setup on 7 different servers they are a mix of old enterprise hardware with the majority being HPE DL380G5 machines but there is a Dell PE2950 G3 as well as an HPE DL385 G5 and a custom-built Supermicro motherboard in a Rosewill 4U chassis as well. All of the machines have 2 CPUs and all are Xeons with the only exception being the DL385 is dual AMD CPUs. They all have dual OS disks (2 x 250 GB SSDs) running in RAID as I am not able to flash the cards to IT, though the Supermicro is running Mirrored ZFS as it does not have onboard RAID. Also they all have 32 GB of RAM except the Supermicro as 96 GB.

Storage Background: I have 3 QNAP devices all with 16 GB RAM and are running TrueNAS Core with 2 of them having 4 x 6 TB HDDs and the other having 8 x 8 TB HDDs. The shares are setup so that the 8-bay device has storage for ISO Images and Virtual Machine Backups. The other 4-bay devices have storage configured for Virtual Machine Disk Images.

What I am hoping to setup for my pfSense Virtual Machine is a mirrored ZFS boot where one disk is on one of the storage devices and the other is on the second storage device, essentially creating a somewhat DIY/Consumer "Poor-mans" High Availability storage solution. I should note that I do plan to move from using NAS devices to store Virtual Machine disks to CEPH or a similar distributed file system but that will happen when I both upgrade to 10g networking and build new servers with no RAID and more room for disks (the plan is to have 2 mirrored OS disks and 6 storage disks per system)

Now when I have set this up in testing when everything is online there are no issues and if one of the storage devices goes offline there are also no issues and when it comes back online ZFS on the Virtual Machine handles syncing the disk that was missing. The problem happens if the Virtual Machine needs to restart for whatever reason is starting with one of the disks missing as Proxmox will not allow it to boot with a hardware device unavailable.

Is there a way to mark or denote hardware as "Optional" or "nice to have" so that the machine will boot with either disk missing? I know that if I were to mark both HDDs as optional and none were available then the machine would boot but of course would be stuck in a boot loop.

As far as I know there is no option to set a device as optional.
But there should be hook scripts that can be run when starting/stopping a VM and you can add/remove devices using the CLI so it might be possible to create your own script that will dynamically remove a unavailable device when a start job is triggered (but before the VM is actually started) or add it again at the next start if it is available again.
But yes, would be quite annoying to manage all that.
Wouldn't it be easier to get two TrueNAS licenses so you could run two of your TrueNAS servers in HA mode? That way you just need a single virtual disk for all VMs and still got a redundant NFS/iSCSI.

@Dunuin -- The only way to get HA from TrueNAS is to purchase their hardware and they use an active-passive type HA using multiple nodes in a single chassis that both have access to all the disks though only the master is actively using them. These servers are also way out of my budget.

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!