Virtual machine Creation - Clarification

perja11

May 19, 2021
Hello,

I was successful to get the PROXMOX running on bare metal dell server.

So as we are moving out of VMWARE and now I am tasked to get the proxmox replace VMWARE just for test environment.

While creating the Virtual machine I understand I can use the OS to boot from an ISO.(So I have no confusion here)
Under the SYSTEM option I get VirtIO SCSI as default SCSI controller. Is this something default I can use it or Is something I need to look for other options ?
Hard disk - How do I connect it to IBM SVC controller so that I can make use of disk from the IBM box instead of locally available storage ?
Network - How do I connect Promox to our ACI network ? Is there a way to map proxmox to connect ACI so that I can choose the IP address from a specific VLANS ?

I apologize for asking this silly questions but I just want to explore this product so that I can convince to get the VMWARE replaced.

Under the SYSTEM option I get VirtIO SCSI as default SCSI controller. Is this something default I can use it or Is something I need to look for other options ?
The defaults should work most of the times.
Hard disk - How do I connect it to IBM SVC controller so that I can make use of disk from the IBM box instead of locally available storage ?
IBM SVC supports iSCSI, right? Then you can go to Datacenter->Storage->Add iSCSI.

The chapter about iSCSI in the reference documentation should be helpful https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#storage_open_iscsi

Network - How do I connect Promox to our ACI network ? Is there a way to map proxmox to connect ACI so that I can choose the IP address from a specific VLANS ?
This should work using Open vSwitch https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysadmin_network_configuration

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!