Virtual Machine and Vlans

supersayian

Jun 24, 2021
Hello

I am trying to have a vm run on the IoT vlan that I have setup. The dhcp and dns are working because the IoT devices are working because I can turn them on and off from my cell phone. When I connect the vm to it. The vm does not get an ip address from the dhcp server setup in proxmox. I connect my cell phone to it and it gets an ip address. I am sure I am not configuring the network correctly on the vm for it to work. I have the network bridge set to vlan aware and even set the vlan tag in proxmox and the vm itself. Is there a guide or something that can help?

Thank you

Quick reply, have you made sure that VLAN aware on the network device of the host is ticked ?
also make sure your tagging is sent on the VLAN for the virtual interface being passed to the virtual machine.

Also check that your switch is not a managed one (if it is you might need to enable VLANs on the port that your host is plugged into)

Quick reply, have you made sure that VLAN aware on the network device of the host is ticked ?
also make sure your tagging is sent on the VLAN for the virtual interface being passed to the virtual machine.

Also check that your switch is not a managed one (if it is you might need to enable VLANs on the port that your host is plugged into)
Thank you for your reply. I tried all of that and it still does not work. My switch is a managed one and I tried adding the port that the vm is using as part of the vlan and that didn't work as well. I added the vlan tag in the proxmox menu for the nic that is assigned to the vm and then in the vm itself. Still nothing

The first steps are correct, setting vmbr0 as vlan aware and adding the appropriate VLAN ID in the VM hardware tab.
But your switch needs to be configured to put the vlan tagged on the cable to Proxmox's NIC.

Reactions: i_am_jam
To test, add another virtual with the same setup and set a static address on both virtuals, in the same address space as your normal network.
Make sure they are on the same VLAN in proxmox and the same network bridge. See if they can talk/ping each other (windows blocks ping responses by default) and see if they can talk/ping something on the physical network.
This would help prove that VLAN tagging is working in proxmox, but maybe not configured correctly on the switch ports/trunk.

I was setting up a new vm for it and this is when I ran into the problem. Here are some pictures of how it is configured currently. vmbr8 is the interface that I have set to vlan aware. It is on the proxmox host that has the vm.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 89
I would still test as above. to VMs both attched to bmvr6 with static address, to see if they can ping each other.

I'm still leaning towards the swtich not forwarding/allowing tagged/untagged packets into the right places.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!