virtual gpu/passthrough questions

alexskysilk

Distinguished Member
Oct 16, 2015
Chatsworth, CA
www.skysilk.com
Since its memorial day weekend and I dont have much to do this morning, I set up a windows guest with a GVT-g gpu. setup was quick and easy, but I'm kinda confused about how its supposed to work.

1. what is the correct setup for local console? if I set vga to anything but none, it seems to set vroot to the software display and the hardware gpu is not used for anything.
2. If I set vga to none It operates completely headless, accessible via rdp, but since that means operating with a virtual display, it doesnt appear to use the gpu (again.)

This is still useful for compute purposes, but for pcoip type use its... I think I'm doing it wrong?

at least here rdp uses the passed through gpu even with the 'remote display adapter' and even when there is a software gpu configured (e.g. tested with some 3d benchmarks and looked in the task manager)
there are also a few alternatives for remote desktop like parsec/vnc server in the guest/etc..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!