VirtIO network performance

zx_pve

Dec 20, 2022
Hi!

I'm looking for some performance advise. Got a rather beefy PVE test host:

CPU: 2 x Xeon Gold 5220R @ 2.2 GHz (48C/96T total)
RAM: 512 GB
NIC: 2 x Intel XL710 40 GbE

The host is empty and not used by anything except for test VMs. The network is a simple OVS bridge with LACP LAG configured as follows:

Code:
auto enp59s0f0
iface enp59s0f0 inet manual
  ovs-mtu 9000

auto enp59s0f1
iface enp59s0f1 inet manual
  ovs-mtu 9000

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
  ovs_bridge vmbr0
  ovs_type OVSBond
  ovs_bonds enp59s0f0 enp59s0f1
  ovs_options bond_mode=balance-tcp lacp=active other_config:lacp-time=fast
  ovs_mtu 9000

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
  ovs_type OVSBridge
  ovs_mtu 9000
  ovs_ports bond0 mgmt

Proxmox version is 7.3, kernel 5.15.74-1. Test VMs are Ubuntu 22.04, kernel linux-modules-5.15.0-56-generic. PVE firewall is disabled. Test VMs attach to vmbr0 with VirtIO NICs, 4 queues per NIC for vhost-net, and a VLAN tag, VM firewalls are disabled.

The network throughput between 2 VMs on this host on the same bridge in the same VLAN appears to be limited to roughly 27-30 Gbps (iperf3 TCP stream, default settings). Adding more CPUs and/or NIC queues and/or adding more stream has no effect.

Throughput over network between the host and an external test machine connected with 2 x 40 GbE over a low-latency network is limited to roughly 30 Gbps (iperf3 TCP stream, default settings). Throughput between a test VM on the host and the same external test machine is limited to roughly 25-27 Gbps (iperf3 TCP stream, default settings).

I am wondering if these throughput numbers are expected, and whether they can be improved. I tried playing with physical NIC RX/TX ring buffers on the host, TX queue lengths on host and VM interfaces, etc, but that didn't make much of a difference. Is there anything to try, or am I hitting the limits of kernel traffic processing and the next logical step is trying DPDK?

I would appreciate any advice or reference to any relevant materials, documentation or other resources. Thank you for your time!

Cheers!

Reactions: ImTheGreatWhite

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!