Virtio network driver version in PVE4.0 not working for some VMs.

dgeist

Feb 26, 2015
I'm using ubuntu trusty to host one side of a virtual network appliance cluster (Juniper VSRX firewalls) and have been attempting to get the corresponding second node of the virtual cluster running alongside with identical network setup, just in a PVE4.0 cluster. All other networking challenges aside, the one thing I'm unable to overcome is that the "virtio" network driver in PVE won't allow the VM to come up properly. Only the "e1000" driver seems to work. Juniper has optimized their image to perform well with virtio and it does so on the "baseline" hypervisor (an Ubuntu trusty host with kvm/qemu).

Is there any reason to suspect that the version of the network abstraction components in PVE are of an older vintage than I might find in Ubuntu Trusty?

Dan

Hi Dan
The VirtIO Network driver is stable and mature for Linux OSes and Windows ( see https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/23524-VM-WS12R2-slow )
I am also using it with FreeBSD, on which Juniper is based IIRC, and it also works.

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# uname -srm
FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p16 amd64
dmesg    | grep ^vtnet
vtnet0: <VirtIO Networking Adapter> on virtio_pci2
vtnet0: Ethernet address: b2:ae:f1:97:36:52

What is the ouput of dmesg | grep ^vtnet on your system ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!