Virtio drivers

lweidig

Oct 20, 2011
Sheboygan, WI
Have a couple of questions. We have been running proxmox v1.9 - v2.2 for ages with NO issues. We have a small server internally that houses 2 Windows 2008 R2 servers and 2 Linux containers. Has ran forever no issues. Yesterday, I started creating a Windows 2012 server machine and since that point the OTHER two Windows 2008 R2 machines have blue screened three times! The 2012 server has not had issues. First, I know that I am putting much newer virtio drivers on the 2012 server. Is there issues running multiple versions of virtio drivers on a single box? Would not think so, but seems like it might.

Can anybody explain the folder layout and which folder goes with which OS, especially for the server based OS'es. I see the following layout in the most recent build (48):

Vista
Win7
Win8
Wlh
Wnet
WXp
XP

Now, it is pretty easy to line these up withe the personal operating systems, but for server versions... The Win8 folder just appeared in recent builds also, I have build (29) running and no Win8 folder. Also, build 27 was the ones we installed. Will try the latest versions but at this point it all has to be played with after hours as I cannot tank the two production machines with the experiments. We are running a fully patched VE 2.2-31 system.

Thanks!

a driver in a VM cannot influence other VMs.

which virtio driver version do you run in your win2008r2 guests? did you upgrade them recently?

I would have argued that this is the case as well. However, the 2 machines have NEVER crashed before I started up the third one and I am trying to figure out the cause. The 2008r2 machines both are running the 61.61.101.58000 drivers dated 4/11/2011 and have been for quite some time. They have not been upgraded this year, I am fairly certain. These drivers I would suspect are sort of "special" providing more than normal interaction with the underlying OS.

Any other suggestions where to look? I can pretty much crash the production machines on command by firing up this third 2012 machine. It is three for three at this point.

I suggest you install these driver for win2008r2.

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/virtio-win-0.1-30.iso

(use the drivers in the win7 folder)

Thanks for the suggestions. We actually decided to go with updating the the Build 48 drivers across all three servers since these now have specific drivers for Windows 8 (Windows 2012 Server). We have had this running now for about 6 hours with no crashing which is FAR longer than any other time. It was under an hour always in the past.

So, it appears that virtio drivers do cause some sort of interaction among guests. I would have hoped for much greater isolation, but appears they do. I also realize this is more KVM related and not a Proxmox issue. We do love Proxmox :D

Thanks for the help working thought this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!