virglrenderer for 3d support

Could you please summarize what is working right now and how it works? Does Proxmox automatically start the virglrenderer in background and does the VirGL GPU access that renderer in Proxmox VMs? Do we have VirGL 3D drivers for Windows Guests yet?
Edit: But as it seems there is still no GPU accelerated driver for Windows, right?

Last edited:
Basically.

We'll look into this, but newer QEMU and also supporting graphical library packages might be required, so I'd not hold my breath for a very quick update to this. In the worst case, it might not be realistic to upgrade those without wide breakage in the ecosystem, so it might then even need a new Debian release cycle (due mid 2025). I'm not expecting that just yet, but I want to manage expectations here.
Hi @t.lamprecht there're quite recent HowTos on how to get Virtio-GPU Venus up and running. Maybe that helps for proxmox to implement this in the next release?

Reactions: SInisterPisces
Hi @t.lamprecht,

i just found a very recent information / GitHub repo that will include all the patches that are needed to get Virtio-GPU Venus up and running:
In addtition, please check out the corresponding Reddit discussion for background information (it's a topic about a game because this is used as a showcase):
The required patches are not upstream yet. Maybe your devs could take a look into that and either build PVE against the patches for the upcoming release or maybe even help getting those upstream. Thanks for your attention. :)

Hi @t.lamprecht,

i just found a very recent information / GitHub repo that will include all the patches that are needed to get Virtio-GPU Venus up and running:
In addtition, please check out the corresponding Reddit discussion for background information (it's a topic about a game because this is used as a showcase):
The required patches are not upstream yet. Maybe your devs could take a look into that and either build PVE against the patches for the upcoming release or maybe even help getting those upstream. Thanks for your attention. :)

I would love to see Venus in PVE. The existing VirtIO-GL works, but it's not performant enough on, e.g., Intel iGPUs, to support, e.g., low latency audio in a VM using Pulse Audio. Combining VirtIO GL with hardware accelerated (H.264) xrdp from the experimental repo is almost there on a i5-12500T's iHD 770, but not fast enough yet.

If Venus is that much of a performance improvement, it might push GPU-accelerated remote desktops with sound into the usuable realm without real GPU passthrough. :)

That said, while I can't speak for the PVE devs, I imagine this is not yet high on their list of features invest time in to release. It will be non-trivial in any case, and likely won't be considered stable enough to try to implement at least until the relevant patches are upstreamed.

I'm really excited to see how this goes, though. I've been hoping we get Venus support for a while now.

I would love to see Venus in PVE. The existing VirtIO-GL works, but it's not performant enough on, e.g., Intel iGPUs, to support, e.g., low latency audio in a VM using Pulse Audio. Combining VirtIO GL with hardware accelerated (H.264) xrdp from the experimental repo is almost there on a i5-12500T's iHD 770, but not fast enough yet.

If Venus is that much of a performance improvement, it might push GPU-accelerated remote desktops with sound into the usuable realm without real GPU passthrough. :)

That said, while I can't speak for the PVE devs, I imagine this is not yet high on their list of features invest time in to release. It will be non-trivial in any case, and likely won't be considered stable enough to try to implement at least until the relevant patches are upstreamed.

I'm really excited to see how this goes, though. I've been hoping we get Venus support for a while now.
Well, unfortunately PVE 8.2 does not support it. But it looks like Proxmox followed my suggestions in helping upstream with the needed stacks. They have an open position in that field now. ;)

https://www.proxmox.com/de/ueber-uns/karriere

Reactions: SInisterPisces

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!