virgl 3d acceleration support?

paulmorabi

Mar 30, 2019
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a Linux VM to use the virgl 3d accelerated graphics driver. My VM config is:

Code:
agent: 1
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 8
cpu: host,flags=+pcid
efidisk0: shared:vm-103-disk-1,size=128K
ide2: local:iso/linuxmint-19.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso,media=cdrom,size=1927648K
machine: q35
memory: 8192
name: Linux
net0: virtio=A2:54:6F:DC:1C:0F,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: shared:vm-103-disk-0,size=256G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=744d2587-30f2-45b4-b9d4-c12bd4354771
sockets: 1
vga: virtio,memory=512
vmgenid: 806c794f-04b5-4767-bbe9-d7505c63fe74

When I boot into Linux Mint it gives a message about using software graphics drivers and in dmesg there is the following line "Virgl 3d acceleration not supported by host". I've tried also Manajro Linux and it just hangs.

I'm using the latest Proxmox 5.4-6.

Any ideas would be very appreciated!

our qemu is not compiled with virgl support, so without recompiling qemu this will not work
also afaik virgl does only work with a local gtk/spice screen not over the network with vnc...

Can you add to your roadmap compiling qemu with virgl?
I would like to use spice with it, yes.
Thanks.

Reactions: Elleni
I would like to use spice with it, yes.
maybe i did not express myself clearly... afaik even with spice it does not work over the network only on the local machine
so for a server os like Proxmox VE this is not very useful, but you can open an enhancement request[0] for it, maybe someday it will
be possible to use over the network i guess then it would make sense for us.

0: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!