viewing the vm IP address in the summary of that vm

wbravin

Sep 7, 2022
Hello all

I'm new to proxmox. I have been playing with it for a about a year on and off on old hardware. Now that i have all my server hardware has been defined and implemented. I am ready to go live with my new home environment. I'm running proxmox 8.

I created vm's for opnsense. home assistant and truenas. Maybe i will add a window 10 or 11 vm at a future date

Of the 3 vm's only home assistant summary provides me with an iP address of the Home assistant vm.

For truenas and opnsense i do not see the vm's ip address and in both cases under option i see that the qemu is enabled and type virtio.

As suggested I tried to perform apt-get install qemu-guest-agent in the pve shell and it did install however i still get the same scenarios.

is there a solution to my problem?

Thank you in advance for your help

As suggested I tried to perform apt-get install qemu-guest-agent in the pve shell and it did install however i still get the same scenarios.
You dont install Qemu Agent in PVE shell, that would be installing it as package in Proxmox itself. The agent needs to run inside the VM. The HA seems to contain it by default, others do not. You need to research what specific OS types the other two VMs are, whether there is an agent package available for these OS's, whether you are allowed to install such extra packages, and if all stars align - install the package inside those VMs.
You then need to enable Agent option in VM configuration panel of the PVE.
Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: leesteken
You dont

Warning

You get updates for Proxmox VE
The enterprise repository is enabled, but there is no active subscription!
The no-subscription repository is not recommended for production use!
The Ceph enterprise repository is enabled, but there is no active subscription!
The Ceph no-subscription/main repository is not recommended for production use!
APT Repositories
ReloadAdd
in PVE shell, that would be installing it as package in Proxmox itself. The agent needs to run inside the VM. The HA seems to contain it by default, others do not. You need to research what specific OS types the other two VMs are, whether there is an agent package available for these OS's, whether you are allowed to install such extra packages, and if all stars align - install the package inside those VMs.
Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I did read that truenas core (which i have does not have qemu agent package installed nat
You dont install Qemu Agent in PVE shell, that would be installing it as package in Proxmox itself. The agent needs to run inside the VM. The HA seems to contain it by default, others do not. You need to research what specific OS types the other two VMs are, whether there is an agent package available for these OS's, whether you are allowed to install such extra packages, and if all stars align - install the package inside those VMs.
Good luck

Thank you for your prompt

I did read that truenas core (which i have does not have qemu agent package installed natively however turnas scale does

I need to find a way to install it

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!