vGPU, MxGPU - what's the solution in 2022?

ilja

May 22, 2021
Hello all,

I have a decent Proliant Gen 10 server (lots of CPU and lots of RAM) and am looking for a suitable solution to have multiple VMs (Windows 11, Ubuntu) available on the network as remote desktops. Unfortunately, the present graphics performance under Proxmox 7.1 is pretty crappy - even with VirtIO-GPU, 512MB. The graphics card installed in the server (Matrox, MGA G200eH3) also has hardly any power to perform at all.

Therefore, I am entertaining the idea of putting one or more GPUs in the server. Since I am not in favor of NVidia's licensing policy, I thought about an AMD S7150x2 - however, the card is already quite aged and the solution is, at least in mixed operation, probably also quite unstable. It further seems, there are also no Windows 11 drivers for the card (or can I also use the Windows 10 drivers under Windows 11? Unfortunately, I have no idea about Windoze).

Does anyone have a suggestion which GPU solution I should favor? I don't need too much performance - it should be a reasonable desktop use, maybe a little CAD, no gaming. Is there a good solution in 2022? It seems like it would work with NVidia cards - but the solution also looks rather finicky with to me. The alternative, the GPU passthrough, is probably also not perfect and rock-stable - in addition, I need then for the 6-8 planned hosts probably also accordingly many graphics cards. This is expensive, costs space and the server gets even hotter... Which single-slot cards (ideally with PCIe 3.0 x8) would you recommend?

Cheers!

Reactions: daros
I'm interested in this as well. Did you find a solution or at least more information about this? Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!