Vgpu Issues with 1080TI on 7.1-7

twatson1022

Jul 6, 2022
I have read its basicly impossible to get this to work on the new 7.2 so Ive been trying to use 7.1-7. I have now tried maybe 200 times to get my 1080TI to pass though to a Windows VM following Craft Computing's guide "

Proxmox GPU Virtualization Tutorial with Custom Profiles thanks to vGPU_Unlock-RS"

I got it to work for about 1 minute but once I tried to install the drives the screen went black and every time I try to start it up now I get " Error: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1". I have been searching for an answer for days now for this error. I even tried to change motherboards went from an ASUS z10pe-d16 with 2 14 core Xeons to an Asrock x399 Taichi str4 amd x399 with a Threadripper 2950X. I can pass the hardware straight to the VM but I can't seam to split it into 2 4gig cards. I'm kind of stuck and not sure where to go from here. I'm new to Proxmox and know just enough to be dangerous in linux. lol. This really is the last thing I need to figure out before I can Virtualize windows for my kids so I don't have to build 2 computers in the next few years.

Do I have to have Proxmox release the card or something?
Do I need to break down and get a Tesla / Quadro card to do this?

Did you tried it with an older kernel? I think Ive seen some posts here mentioning they can't upgrade to PVE 7.2 because vGPU wouldn't work with the new 5.15 kernel so they had to stick with the 5.13 kernel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!