vgname: invalid format - lvm name 'vgs virtualmachines' contains illegal characters

astrakid

Renowned Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi,
I have suddenly a problem with my LVM.
Everything worked fine, since I wanted to install a new VM. I wasn't able to choose my LVM as destination anymore - there was no capacity available.

At least I tried to add my LVM from scratch.

Now I receive the message "vgname: invalid format - lvm name 'vgs virtualmachines' contains illegal characters "

What did I do:
At least I performed the following:

Code:
root@server:/opt/vms/images/103# pvscan
    Logging initialised at Fri Aug 16 11:28:31 2013
    Set umask from 0022 to 0077
pvscan    Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
pvscan    Wiping internal VG cache
pvscan    Walking through all physical volumes
pvscan  PV /dev/sdb2   VG virtualmachines   lvm2 [100,61 GiB / 50,61 GiB free]
pvscan  Total: 1 [100,61 GiB] / in use: 1 [100,61 GiB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]
pvscan    Wiping internal VG cache

Code:
root@server:/opt/vms/images/103# lvscan
    Logging initialised at Fri Aug 16 11:28:42 2013
lvscan    Finding all logical volumes
lvscan  ACTIVE            '/dev/virtualmachines/vm-100-disk-1' [10,00 GiB] inherit
lvscan  ACTIVE            '/dev/virtualmachines/vm-105-disk-1' [30,00 GiB] inherit
lvscan  ACTIVE            '/dev/virtualmachines/vm-101-disk-1' [10,00 GiB] inherit
lvscan    Wiping internal VG cache

Code:
root@server:/opt/vms/images/103# vgscan
    Logging initialised at Fri Aug 16 11:28:47 2013
vgscan    Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
vgscan    Wiping internal VG cache
vgscan  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
vgscan    Finding all volume groups
vgscan    Finding volume group "virtualmachines"
vgscan  Found volume group "virtualmachines" using metadata type lvm2
vgscan    Wiping internal VG cache

Everything looks fine. But when adding the storage in proxmox I receive the mentioned message. suspicious (I can't remember if it was the same before): The Volume group-dropdown-menu shows "vgs virtualmachines".
Several reboots of the whole proxmox-server didn't change anything in this behaviour...

Any help would be great...

regards,
astrakid

Last edited:
Re: vgname: invalid format - lvm name 'vgs virtualmachines' contains illegal characte

Please can you post your storage config?

# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

Re: vgname: invalid format - lvm name 'vgs virtualmachines' contains illegal characte

Currently it is:

dir: sata_3tb_toshiba
disable
path /mnt/toshiba
content images,iso,vztmpl,rootdir,backup
maxfiles 20

dir: usb_64gb
path /mnt/64gb_usb
content iso,vztmpl,backup
maxfiles 5

dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content images,iso,vztmpl,backup,rootdir
maxfiles 5

dir: dir_vms
path /opt/vms
content images
maxfiles 5

lvm: vm
vgname virtualmachines
content images

but the lvm-part has been added manually by me after i tried to remove that part from the config file to start from scratch...

hi,
problem solved: I installed Proxmox 3.1, and in that step the lvm.conf has been replaced - I guess that file caused the problem...

regards,
astrakid

The problem reoccured..... I am not able to add new VMs or hdd to existing VMs... The error is the same, lvm.conf has been replaced already and the system rebooted...
Any suggestion?

kind regards,
astrakid

now i removed the lv and the vg completely... unfortunately the error remains... i changed the name of my vg as well on console before assigning it in proxmox - without success...
seems to be a bug in proxmox...?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!