Very slow SERVER and VMs

zerocrazy

Nov 15, 2019
Hello dear community.

Server features: https://prnt.sc/s3hnb0 (+ a single 2TB HDD hard drive)
Configuration of a default VM: https://prnt.sc/s3hq8c
Black screen: https://i.imgur.com/MJUMOrD.png

I have started having serious problems on my server since I start having quite a few VMs. I have noticed that when I start to have more and more VMs, the "I/O Delay" begins to increase its% (it is usually between 6-11%) and it annoys my other users because their VM is very slow. Not only are the VMs that are already created, but the new ones that I'm trying to create are also very slow and even the console screen goes completely black.
Could you recommend any alternative/solution to improve performance?
Thank you.

You aren't running that many VMs on a single spinning HDD, do you? A traditional HDD has by far too few IOPs to satisfy so much I/O demand.

You aren't running that many VMs on a single spinning HDD, do you? A traditional HDD has by far too few IOPs to satisfy so much I/O demand.
Thanks for your answer.
I have it all on a single 2TB hard drive (HDD). Do you recommend putting the VMs on an SSD and everything else (iso, backup, etc) on the HDD?

Well… it depends of course. If your users complain about bad performance, than you should probably check that out. Just check-up on a VM and monitor the i/o wait in top. If that is significantly high, than this would surely indicate to issues with the underlying storage. However, what counts more than performance is surely reliabiliy and neither a single HDD or SSD will give you that. Hope, that you have deployed a good backup strategy.

I don't see why this should call for a restart of the PVE host.

I don't see why this should call for a restart of the PVE host.
So what can I do. I am very nervous because I am starting to lose users and this has never happened to me. I can only make a single change to the server because my provider charges me 25.00EUR for the technical hand. Increase 1TB SSD or also increase CPU?

Code:
pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS:      88002.20
REGEX/SECOND:      1925655
HD SIZE:           9.10 GB (/dev/sda2)
BUFFERED READS:    17.89 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 173.64 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND:     2.97
DNS EXT:           131.29 ms
DNS INT:           0.89 ms (invalid)

Last edited:
Soo… without any liability… I have never seen the CPU performance being the bottleneck in any of my VM servers - it has been always RAM or storage throughput. 173ms average seek time is a horror to my eyes and if I'd only have one shot, I'd go with that. However, this seems to be the drive where pve is installed on, so ymmv regarding the drive where your VMs are stored. You really should investigate the i/o load of your VMs.

What are your users doing with these? If you have any chance get into the pve's Kosole and run top.

Soo… without any liability… I have never seen the CPU performance being the bottleneck in any of my VM servers - it has been always RAM or storage throughput. 173ms average seek time is a horror to my eyes and if I'd only have one shot, I'd go with that. However, this seems to be the drive where pve is installed on, so ymmv regarding the drive where your VMs are stored. You really should investigate the i/o load of your VMs.

What are your users doing with these? If you have any chance get into the pve's Kosole and run top.
Some users have games and others use vps to do something related to "ultrascrapper linkedin"

Aha… ok, so this will be my final post to this threat and that's only for technical reasons… I don't support this way of making money… your i/o delay is way too high and that would either indicate a broken drive or the lack of IOPs, which can be countered by installing a SSD.

I'm out…

Aha… ok, so this will be my final post to this threat and that's only for technical reasons… I don't support this way of making money… your i/o delay is way too high and that would either indicate a broken drive or the lack of IOPs, which can be countered by installing a SSD.

I'm out…
I don't support that way of making money either, I'm with you. Then I will buy an SSD. Thank you very much for your help, it has helped me a lot!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!