Very Slow boot

Patriot-IT

Mar 25, 2019
Toronto, Canada
After searching the forums and internet for possible solutions I thought I would ask the Forums to see if anyone else has an idea.

I have setup a small cluster on new hardware SuperMicro servers, Motherboard H11DSU-iN:
AMD Epyc processors, 256GB ram each, 10SSD's

I have installed Proxmox 5.3 using ZFS RAID 10, updated, setup a clusted with ring interface and have VM's running successfully. The system is working as intended. However boot times are very long 20-30min. It seems after starting and BIOS the system sits there with a black screen cursor flashing in the top corner while it looks like it seeks every hdd in the chasis. There is no raid card in the system, just the onboard sata controller. This may be the issue but I saw no option in the Bios that could be an issue, unless SATA hot swapping enabled would be it.

Any input is appreciated.

Output of systemd-analyze
root@tor-ops-proxmox-01:~# systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 6.333s (kernel) + 8.739s (userspace) = 15.073s

root@tor-ops-proxmox-02:~# systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 6.215s (kernel) + 8.774s (userspace) = 14.990s

It doesn't apear to be OS level. It take a long time for grub to appear but once it starts booting it is very fast.

Thanks,

Lee

I have exact same problem on HP Proliant ML110 G6.
11 minutes till Grub menu.
15 minutes till kernel loads.
But only when I install in ZFS RAID 1+0 (4 or more disks)
If I use ZFS RAID 1 on two disks, or LVM it works normally.

I also have that problem too, maybe it is because the size of total ram? I also have 256GB ram

I have only 16 GB, so it can't be that. :)

Hello

Did you find a solution to this issue?

I have the same exact problem but with Proxmox Backup Server.

I have an HP Proliant ML110 G6, CPU Xeon, 8 GB RAM and 4 x 1 TB HDDs in ZFS RAID10 and it takes 10 minutes to fully boot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!