Verify Receivers Should Be Able to Use LDAP or Local Lists

BryanPearson

Nov 8, 2007
I had it in my head that LDAP could be used to enable the Verify Receivers option. I see that I was wrong. I find this unworkable in our current setup. I am frustrated that while the Proxmox is clearly aware of every group and email account using LDAP, it is not configurable to check this LOCALLY CACHED list during SMTP sessions, to prevent receipt of mail for which there is no valid destination. Further, even locally-stored user-created lists cannot be used as a Verify Receivers resource.

This is the best way to keep undeliverable queues empty. Simply deleting the mail after receiving it is wasteful of the bandwidth it took to receive, and irresponsible towards the sender. Accepting mail and dumping it secretly is a poor way to operate a mail server, and sending NDRs after the fact will only lead to spam relay abuse.

Isn't there any way to do this that will allow me to a) have other mail gateways in the chain, and b) avoid turning on NDRs on any internal servers?

I had it in my head that LDAP could be used to enable the Verify Receivers option. I see that I was wrong. I find this unworkable in our current setup. I am frustrated that while the Proxmox is clearly aware of every group and email account using LDAP, it is not configurable to check this LOCALLY CACHED list during SMTP sessions, to prevent receipt of mail for which there is no valid destination. Further, even locally-stored user-created lists cannot be used as a Verify Receivers resource.

This is the best way to keep undeliverable queues empty. Simply deleting the mail after receiving it is wasteful of the bandwidth it took to receive, and irresponsible towards the sender. Accepting mail and dumping it secretly is a poor way to operate a mail server, and sending NDRs after the fact will only lead to spam relay abuse.

Isn't there any way to do this that will allow me to a) have other mail gateways in the chain, and b) avoid turning on NDRs on any internal servers?

hi,
using LDAP during SMTP is possible in principle (but not configurable on the web interface now), our support will contact you directly after the weekend for details. I assume you already have successfully connected your Proxmox to your MS Active Dir?

Purchased Standard License Today

I spent more time with our other gateway, and I think I can get it to respond properly to the Proxmox Validate Receiver queries, so we went ahead with the order.

The anti-spam server absolutely needs to be Internet-facing, so we will just have to make it work with our other gateway. I expect effectiveness to improve quite a bit once it is the first in the chain.

Thanks for your help.

hi,
using LDAP during SMTP is possible in principle (but not configurable on the web interface now), our support will contact you directly after the weekend for details. I assume you already have successfully connected your Proxmox to your MS Active Dir?

Hi, sorry to reactivate an old thread, but can LDAP usage during SMTP possible to configure from the web interface now ?

Thanks
Shoo

Hi, sorry to reactivate an old thread, but can LDAP usage during SMTP possible to configure from the web interface now ?

Thanks
Shoo

verify receivers does not need LDAP (see deployment guide).

you can configure a connection to MS ADS - and you can use the AD groups/users to configure rules.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!