Ventura USB 3 not working

t3dc0x

Jun 23, 2023
Hi there,

I'm having an odd problem. I have a lovely, working install of Ventura running on Proxmox 7.4. Both GPUs (RX580s) pass through successfully. The NVMe drive passes through to boot the OS. All in all, everything I try seems to be working great except for USB.

Currently, I have the system configured to passthrough the USB controller. I'm mildly concerned that the USB controller is in the same IOMMU group as the memory controller, but I'm not seeing any indication of issues related to that. I've experimented variously turning "All Functions" on or off, as well as PCI-Express. They don't seem to have any impact.

I've got some background with hackintoshes and so I am familiar with the usual USB mapping process recommended for OpenCore.

Regardless of what I'm using in terms of USB kexts, including the Dummy version that USBMap creates, USB 2 and below devices show up and are recognized on ANY port. USB 3 devices are not recognized on ANY port. In my experience, a USB device showing up at USB 2 speeds would be irritating, but make sense. However, not showing up at all?

I went ahead and disabled passthrough of the USB controller and instead passed through individual USB 3 devices. This was illustrative. In one example, I plugged in a thumb drive which lights up red. Before booting the VM, the thumb drive lights up red. It flickers off and back on for the Proxmox BIOS screen as the GPUs pass through. Then when MacOS begins to boot, it goes black and doesn't light up again. A USB 2 thumb drive works fine.

There are a number of premade USB maps for my motherboard (a GA-Z690-Gaming X), but none of them work. Trying to roll my own is fruitless, since USB Map doesn't see anything plugged in when I try to attach a USB 3 device.

Anyone seen anything like this? Help? Advice? I'm tearing out my hair.

Thank you!
Ted

Here's the USB and RAM controller, both residing in IOMMU Group 4 on this board.
Code:
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:7ae0] (rev 11)
00:14.2 RAM memory [0500]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:7aa7] (rev 11)

Code:
agent: 1
args: -device isa-applesmc,osk="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" -smbios type=2 -device usb-kbd,bus=ehci.0,port=2 -device usb-mouse,bus=ehci.0,port=3 -global nec-usb-xhci.msi=off -global ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off -cpu host,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,+hypervisor,+invtsc
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: 
cores: 8
hostpci0: 0000:01:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
hostpci1: 0000:05:00,pcie=1
hostpci2: 0000:00:14.0,pcie=1
hostpci3: 0000:02:00.0,pcie=1
machine: q35
memory: 32768
meta: creation-qemu=7.2.0,ctime=1685719709
name: Main-Edit
net0: virtio=FE:91:9F:1C:91:07,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: other
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=124d7b13-b39b-4fe4-9763-37733820105d
sockets: 1
tags: hsve;rev5;template
unused0: local-lvm:vm-102-disk-1
unused1: local-lvm:vm-102-disk-2
unused2: local-lvm:vm-102-disk-0
unused3: local-lvm:vm-102-disk-3
vga: none
vmgenid: fb31d540-5656-4581-b559-904985a0f9ea

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!