Veeam Support for Proxmox VE

jsterr

Renowned Member
Jul 24, 2020
Today was a demo of the upcoming veeam support for proxmox ve. Does anyone have new information on what can be done and if there are any limitations? I saw a video on linkedin and did a quick review of what I could see from that clip:

Also some links there are currently there for more information:
* Veeam Extends Data Freedom for Customers with Support for Proxmox VE [Link]

Here you can see a recording of the Hashtag#Veeam support for Proxmox VE. An analysis:

* The demo does not show a live migration, but an offline migration
** In theory “this could also be live ... ?", however, this should work

* In the demo, the VM restarts within a minute
* this means: either the VM is very small and was transferred in time
** or it is similar to the Proxmox VE ESXi importer, starting the resources at Proxmox level including data streaming (which would not be so fine) (unless they protect it against potential data loss in the event of VM failure during recovery)

* In the Veeam log you can see “Type: Hot-Add” I'm not a Veeam pro now, I used to have a VMCE in version 7. Does anyone here have more info on what it does effectively?

* VMs can be converted to any format (qcow2 or raw) when selecting the target PVE host (or you can stick with the VMDK)

Unfortunately, there are no papers online that describe the exact feature scope. However, support is planned for the next Veeam GA version (Q3).

Lets wait for a demo with live restore without downtime and also file-level-recovery etc.

Edit: Update I got the recording now

• Migrate Proxmox from 5 other hypervisors to Proxmox VE with just a few clicks
  • Hyper-V, Nutanix, VMware, Oracle Linux VM, Redhat
  • VM has only 2.5 GB size (small Linux)
  • VM is shut down before the backup
  • The live demo switched to a video showing the process due to problems
  • You can select the target storage (reads the storages from PVE)
  • You can select the target format (qcow2, raw or vmdk)
  • The network is matched, but you only see a matching to vmbr0 (no details)
  • The VM is restored and then switched on and is accessible again (offline restore)
  • Details of the restore:
    • you can see in one frame that the VM has 512MB RAM, 1 core
    • the VM has a legacy BIOS
    • the LSI storage controller is used (no virtIO)
    • the network uses a virtio driver (and works after the restore)

Last edited:
there is no beta software at the moment available from Veeam. we need to wait, it was planned to get something on Veeam on 2024 but apart from a video i havent seen anything.

I'm so sick of Veeam. Their support isn't as bad as VMware, but that's not saying much.

The only reason I'd use Veeam with PVE is if they had good realtime replication.
Veeam's realtime replication sux horribly.
It's called CDP, and its entirely dependent on the VMware API, so they are probably not offering it for PVE.

Veeam is the only product for VMware backups. Don't bother with anything else.
Veeam is worse than useless non-VMware, because it will waste your time.

These are not random aspersions. I'm VMCE. I run 5 Veeam systems on current support.
I'm never even going to try it with Proxmox.

Hi,
which expierience have you made with Vinchin until now?
Hi, sorry for the late reply.
I have 3 Proxmox Hosts, each one with 5 VM. I use Vinchin to perform incremental backups of the VMs every hour, and archive most important file backups to cloud. It has a unified management interface, and for me Vinchin is completely sufficient and convenient. I had to migrate from VMware to Proxmox because of the change in VMware's price model. Thanks to Vinchin, the migration process was also smooth.

I'm trying to test this out right now. It looks like it's supported in 12.1 based on the release notes I'm finding.

Edit: Appears the plugin is for Beta release only to Veeam100 customers. It's possible to get it if you have a Sales Rep through your organization.

Edit 2: The official support patch has been released! https://www.veeam.com/blog/data-freedom-vdp-12-2.html

Announcement:
https://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-backup-for-proxmox.html

Deployment Guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbrhv/userguide/deployment.html?ver=41

Another Deployment Guide:
https://community.veeam.com/blogs-a...or-proxmox-architecture-and-setup-part-1-8016

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!