Veeam backups on Proxmox hosts

agelosnm

Oct 1, 2021
I'm trying to configure Veeam for backing up my Proxmox hosts.

I have installed everything that is needed but when I execute the backup job the below error shows up:

Code:
12:54:31         Job backup started at 2023-03-13 10:54:31 UTC
12:54:32         Preparing to backup
12:54:32         [error] Failed to create volume snapshot                                                                             00:00:00
12:54:32         [error] Failed to take volume snapshot
12:54:32         [error] Failed to perform backup
12:54:32         [error] Neither [blksnap] nor [veeamsnap] module was found
12:54:32         [error] Processing finished with errors at 2023-03-13 10:54:32 UTC

1678705294060.png

Any ideas? I have configured same for other Linux hosts without any issue

while this is not really a pve or pbs question (rather a veeam one), the error seems to be:
12:54:32 [error] Neither [blksnap] nor [veeamsnap] module was found
neither 'blksnap' nor 'veeamsnap' kernel modules are installed but needed by veeam
on how to install them... i would ask veeam support/forum/etc.
(never used that personally)

You can use Veeam Agent unsupported on Debian, but many things are Different on a PVE Host, like Proxmox Cluster FS and so on.
You can made a Filebased Backup from /etc/pve but this is easier with rsync or other tools.
Veeam Agent in Guest VMs runs great.

I still would like to see some kind of ISO you could put on a USB stick, boot from it and then get some UI to backup/restore whole disks or single partitions to the PBS. Something smilar to what clonezilla or veeam are doing. All that is already possible by booting a Debian with the proxmox-backup-client package, just without a nice UI.

I still would like to see some kind of ISO you could put on a USB stick, boot from it and then get some UI to backup/restore whole disks or single partitions to the PBS. Something smilar to what clonezilla or veeam are doing. All that is already possible by booting a Debian with the proxmox-backup-client package, just without a nice UI.
I second that. Macrium Rescue spoiled me for home use.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!