vDisk are increasing until HDD is full

MisterY

Oct 10, 2016
Hi,

I got some problems with my Proxmox-Setup.
I got two SSDs in a ZFS Raid1 for VM and Host and some HDDs where I create some vDisk and insert them to some guest.

The problem is: If I delete stuff out of the vDisk in the VM, the Guest tells me "empty", but the Host says that the vDisk is still full. This is going so far until the HDD is full. For example, if I create a 100GB vDisk and create 10*10GB files and deleting them right after, the HDD is full, while the vDisk is empty...
the same happens on the locale-zfs pool as well.

I tried RAW and qcow2, I tried discard on or not. What am I doing wrong? It can't be the only solution to create a vDisk with max 45% of Disk size, use it until the HDD is getting close to 45%, create a new one, copy files and then deleting the old one...

please help!

found this: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Shrink_Qcow2_Disk_Files
but "fstrim -av" doesn't help. and I got this problem on RAW and ZFS as well.

Last edited:
The point is that you cannot really delete data used in snapshots - at least the used space is not reclaimed as long as the snapshot references it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!