VDI at home with Spice or other viable alternatives

brb88

Dec 11, 2017
My end goal is to have the ability to launch a few VMs on the LAN and get near native performance for a casual user, 2d is a must for watching videos.

I'd like the end device to be an inexpensive chromebook. I have one for testing. I've been testing on my Windows Desktop as well.

My spice performance is decent using the below. youtube is pretty bad and it's still a little choppy scolling in menus. I haven't tested the virtual audio card yet. It crashes when increasing the resolution over default. i'm considering upgrading if I can get better performance. Is the integrated gpu on the server slowing it down or does spice not utilize the gpu heavily? Would running a Gt 1030 for server graphics help or is that a waste?

server: proxmox, xeon e3-1260L, 8G ddr3, hdd+ssd cache
guest os: ubuntu 16.04 4cores, 4G ram, QXL driver working
remote: xeon e3-1231v3, 8G ddr3, GTX1050, SSD, win10
network: wired 1Gb/s level2 switch

I'm considering building out a rig to do passthrough with 2 GTX 1050s and using moonlight. The performance is exceptional with a shield tv, but the cost is high if the guest doesn't need 3d.

Have here also Spice with Windows10, on working it is feeling like a fast workstation. No problem with , youtube not tested. But we havend here chromebooks. First test it with an normal workstation. If this is working fine, go to your preferred hardware and to your further tests. I use flexvdi drivers. https://depot.flexvdi.com/guest-tools/

Did you have to adjust your graphics memory? I had found a video where he had to manually adjust it to get better performance. I think he was using the QXL driver.

What are your server specs? Does it have a dedicated card?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!