Validate which lxc mount points will be wiped during restore?

Sep 28, 2019
I have an LXC container with the following config running on pve-manager/7.4-15/a5d2a31e (running kernel: 5.15.102-1-pve)

arch: amd64 cores: 16 hostname: backups memory: 8192 mp0: /mnt/shared/backups,mp=/shared/backups mp7: /mnt/shared/library,mp=/shared/library net0: bridge=vmbr0,hwaddr=DA:01:F2:83:E0:02,name=eth0,ip=dhcp,ip6=dhcp,firewall=1 onboot: 1 ostype: ubuntu rootfs: local-zfs:subvol-107-disk-0,mountoptions=noatime,size=32G swap: 0 unprivileged: 1 lxc.idmap: u 0 100000 5000 lxc.idmap: g 0 100000 5000 lxc.idmap: u 5000 5000 100 lxc.idmap: g 5000 5000 100 lxc.idmap: u 5100 105100 60435 lxc.idmap: g 5100 105100 60435

I need to restore from backups but the big scary "going to wipe your mount points" makes me pause. mp0 and mp7 are bind mounts from the underlying OS and used by a bunch of things. They are not part of the backup and I really don't want to deal with them getting wiped and having to restore them.

For reference:
For containers, the situation is different, because the backup is done as a single filesystem, so if a mount point is excluded you will lose it upon restore. There is a warning for this.

What does "you will lose it upon restore" mean? Does it mean the restore wipes `/shared/backups` or the restored container will be missing the mount point?

As far as I understand it will wipe it. See:
Code:
CT 103 - Restore. This will permanently erase current CT data.
Mount point volumes are also erased.
And my mount point mp0 has not data no more ...

Last edited:
Hi,
mount point volumes are erased upon restore. But bind mounts are not erased.

Reactions: Dunuin
Ok, so since mp0 and mp7 are bind mounts to directories on the host they will *not* be erased during a restore of this lxc? I'd like to verify I have all the terminology correct so I don't end up having to restore several TB from offsite :)

Last edited:
Ok, so since mp0 and mp7 are bind mounts to directories on the host they will *not* be erased during a restore of this lxc? I'd like to verify I have all the terminology correct so I don't end up having to restore several TB from offsite :)
Yes, they are bind mounts and those are not touched during restore. Of course it's better to ask in such cases. You can also try it with a dummy container if you'd like to make sure.

Reactions: EricD

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!