v8 upgrade - no web access

aussiemartin

Apr 8, 2023
Bangkok
Well, I'm a newbie with this.
Did the v8 upgrade.
I can log into the installation when I connect a keyboard and mouse BUT I can't access the server via the web interface.

Can anyone suggest what I've buggered up and a fix/s please. I'm at a loss

prox-8.jpg

what does 'apt update' and 'pveversion -v' say?

what does 'apt update' and 'pveversion -v' say?
prox-8-1.jpg

I would add that during the end of the text based gui install that I had 2 choices regarding things to keep. i went with the default on the first one and the second had something to do with keeping the default or the maintainers configuration. Since it was a new version of proxmox, i went with the maintainers file and not mine. Perhaps I chose incorrectly that could be causing this issue

Last edited:
kernel 6.0.19-edge ????
did you have installed external package on pve7 ? (maybe https://github.com/fabianishere/pve-edge-kernel/releases ?)

sound like the upgrade have uninstalled proxmox packages.

maybe "apt install proxmox-ve" could fix it
from memory, i did use some scripts when i first installed proxmox7, following a youtube video that were to tweak the overall system.
but the 'apt install proxmox-ve' didn't work, sadly.

prox-8-2.jpg

How can things go so wrong? :)

prox-8-3.jpg

packages having unmet dependencies, pve-apt-hook not found, upgrade hasn't installed or is missing stuff.
Can anyone help with this. A bit worried now.
Thanks for suggestions

it seems it tries to keep ceph-common on an older version for some reason?

what is the output of
Code:
apt-cache policy ceph-common
?

try the following (and post the outputs as text (if at all possible)):
* show us your apt sources: `grep -r '' /etc/apt/sources.list*`
* add a ceph repository from Proxmox: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#_ceph_quincy_no_subscription_repository
* run `apt update`
* try installing the proxmox-ve meta package (`apt install proxmox-ve`)

I hope this helps!
Sorry but I don't see how I can post the outputs as text
I tried running that grep but it gave no output
I added a ceph repo, did the update and tried installing proxmox-ve with this result -

prox-8-5.jpg

Sorry but I don't see how I can post the outputs as text
if you're connected via ssh you can copy from your ssh-client - if this is not possible - then screenshots will do (they are just quite a bit harder to read and grasp...)

I tried running that grep but it gave no output
maybe a typo? (the command would at least print the apt sources that we see in the screenshots above ... (download.proxmox.com/debina/pve/ bookworm/pve-no-subscription)...

anyways from the error-message about the missing pve-apt-hook - I'd try the following (after creating backups of all data on the system!)

move /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10pveapthook out of the way (to a location outside of /etc/apt/...)

try installing proxmox-ve again

if you're connected via ssh you can copy from your ssh-client - if this is not possible - then screenshots will do (they are just quite a bit harder to read and grasp...)

maybe a typo? (the command would at least print the apt sources that we see in the screenshots above ... (download.proxmox.com/debina/pve/ bookworm/pve-no-subscription)...

anyways from the error-message about the missing pve-apt-hook - I'd try the following (after creating backups of all data on the system!)

move /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10pveapthook out of the way (to a location outside of /etc/apt/...)

try installing proxmox-ve again
Wow thanks so very much. My lil proxmox looks like it's back in action again.
thank you all and I also know I should have used SSH instead of all these screenshots. I did say I was a newbie in the first post

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Wow thanks so very much. My lil proxmox looks like it's back in action again.
thank you all and I also know I should have used SSH instead of all these screenshots. I did say I was a newbie in the first post
Glad you fixed the issue! - no stress about the screenshots - next time you'll know how to make helping easier for us :)

just to be sure - is `stat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10pveapthook` showing that the hook-file is in place again? (it should be)

Glad you fixed the issue! - no stress about the screenshots - next time you'll know how to make helping easier for us :)

just to be sure - is `stat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10pveapthook` showing that the hook-file is in place again? (it should be)

I get 'stat: cannot statx '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10pveapthook': No such file or directory'

I get 'stat: cannot statx '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10pveapthook': No such file or directory'
OK i moved it back
Code:
root@doraemon:~# mv /10pveapthook /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10pveapthook
root@doraemon:~# stat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10pveapthook
  File: /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10pveapthook
  Size: 269           Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   regular file
Device: 253,1    Inode: 1835802     Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2023-07-04 18:02:34.234205123 +0700
Modify: 2021-05-24 17:10:24.000000000 +0700
Change: 2023-07-04 18:03:17.971916367 +0700
 Birth: 2023-04-02 00:22:38.525893182 +0700

One other thing is it was previously mentioned that my Kernal version was probably installed using a third party tool which I remember i probably did.

Current in Proxmox 8.03 -
Code:
Kernel Version    Linux 6.0.19-edge #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PVE Edge 6.0.19-1 (2023-01-13)

Is there a way to reinstate the default kernel so I keep everything default and don't run into these issues in future?

please post:
* `pveversion -v`
* `apt update`
* `apt full-upgrade`
* `proxmox-boot-tool status`

please post:
* `pveversion -v`
* `apt update`
* `apt full-upgrade`
Code:
# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 8.0.1 (running kernel: 6.0.19-edge)
pve-manager: 8.0.3 (running version: 8.0.3/bbf3993334bfa916)
pve-kernel-6.2: 8.0.2
pve-kernel-5.15: 7.4-4
pve-kernel-6.2.16-3-pve: 6.2.16-3
pve-kernel-6.2.11-2-pve: 6.2.11-2
pve-kernel-6.0-edge: 6.0.19-1
pve-kernel-6.0.19-edge: 6.0.19-1
pve-kernel-5.15.108-1-pve: 5.15.108-1
pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve: 5.15.102-1
ceph-fuse: 17.2.6-pve1+3
corosync: 3.1.7-pve3
criu: 3.17.1-2
glusterfs-client: 10.3-5
ifupdown2: 3.2.0-1+pmx3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-3
libknet1: 1.25-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.6
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.4.0
libproxmox-rs-perl: 0.3.0
libpve-access-control: 8.0.3
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.3.1
libpve-common-perl: 8.0.5
libpve-guest-common-perl: 5.0.3
libpve-http-server-perl: 5.0.3
libpve-rs-perl: 0.8.3
libpve-storage-perl: 8.0.2
libspice-server1: 0.15.1-1
lvm2: 2.03.16-2
lxc-pve: 5.0.2-4
lxcfs: 5.0.3-pve3
novnc-pve: 1.4.0-2
proxmox-backup-client: 3.0.1-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 3.0.1-1
proxmox-kernel-helper: 8.0.2
proxmox-mail-forward: 0.2.0
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.4.0
proxmox-offline-mirror-helper: 0.6.1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 4.0.5
pve-cluster: 8.0.1
pve-container: 5.0.4
pve-docs: 8.0.4
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20230228-4
pve-firewall: 5.0.2
pve-firmware: 3.7-1
pve-ha-manager: 4.0.2
pve-i18n: 3.0.4
pve-qemu-kvm: 8.0.2-3
pve-xtermjs: 4.16.0-3
qemu-server: 8.0.6
smartmontools: 7.3-pve1
spiceterm: 3.3.0
swtpm: 0.8.0+pve1
vncterm: 1.8.0
zfsutils-linux: 2.1.12-pve1

Code:
# apt update
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security InRelease
Hit:2 http://ftp.debian.org/debian bookworm InRelease
Hit:3 http://ftp.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates InRelease
Hit:4 http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bookworm InRelease
Hit:5 http://download.proxmox.com/debian/ceph-quincy bookworm InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.

please post:
* `pveversion -v`
* `apt update`
* `apt full-upgrade`
Code:
# apt full-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  ceph-mgr-modules-core libfmt7 libsqlite3-mod-ceph libthrift-0.13.0 python3-autocommand python3-bcrypt python3-bs4 python3-cheroot
  python3-cherrypy3 python3-dateutil python3-inflect python3-jaraco.classes python3-jaraco.collections python3-jaraco.context
  python3-jaraco.functools python3-jaraco.text python3-logutils python3-more-itertools python3-natsort python3-paste python3-pastedeploy
  python3-pastedeploy-tpl python3-pecan python3-portend python3-simplegeneric python3-singledispatch python3-soupsieve python3-tempita
  python3-tempora python3-tz python3-waitress python3-webob python3-webtest python3-werkzeug python3-zc.lockfile sudo
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Code:
# proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
E: /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids does not exist.

looks ok for the greatest part - the question is why you're still booting the 6.0.19-edge kernel - did you reboot the machine after the successful upgrade? If not - this would explain it - and I'd suggest to reboot it as soon as possible.

If you did reboot it I'd take a look at `proxmox-boot-tool kernel list` in case you have pinned the externally provided kernel - and if this reports nothing take a look at the grub configuration (in case you selected that kernel version with other means)

looks ok for the greatest part - the question is why you're still booting the 6.0.19-edge kernel - did you reboot the machine after the successful upgrade? If not - this would explain it - and I'd suggest to reboot it as soon as possible.

If you did reboot it I'd take a look at `proxmox-boot-tool kernel list` in case you have pinned the externally provided kernel - and if this reports nothing take a look at the grub configuration (in case you selected that kernel version with other means)
OK learning a bit more :)
That kernel was pinned. I ran
Code:
proxmox-boot-tool kernel unpin
which did some automagic grub organisation, rebooted and now have
Code:
Linux 6.2.16-3-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PVE 6.2.16-3 (2023-06-17T05:58Z)
Thanks so very much for helping out a newbie with all this. Much appreciated indeed

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!