v2.0 - wrong way?

gab.dab

Nov 16, 2011
I really appreciate your work and I say thank you for v1 but I must share my impressions on v2:

The v2 has lots of (for most of us useless) features and graphs and don't know what more probably a christmas tree but the most important "feature" is lost: the simplycity of v1.x.

The interface is ugly (and a chaos). I know that some posts say that it's nice but don't belive them: in 2011 it's ugly.
The ui's of the best softwares (like pve 1.x) are simple, clear and easy to understand and use. None of these apply to v2.

I wait long time ago for the release but after trying the beta I'll better stay on v1.9.

I am sorry for these words but I had to tell. Please don't kill me :)

gab

which feature is useless?

You are right, they are not useless, people who manage lots of servers will find them useful, and probably that is your goal.
I just.. expected the same one-click feeling as in 1.x and now i see button over button.. annoying rotating "loading" images.. and those ugly graphs.. grrrrrrr!! the dark side of javascript-world

pls lets go back to facts, the goal is to improve everything and we are on a pretty good road. if you have any detailed question about a specific feature I am happy to explain why the new implementation is better than the old one.

the graphs are not final, they will be replaced using html5 technology.

Have you tried the "Folder View"?
It reminds me 1.9 only better.

Click on the Folder "Virtual Machines" and you see a list of your virtual machines on the right pane just like in 1.x.
Double Click a VM in the right pane and it opens up just that one VM, pretty much just like in 1.x too.
In 1.x you had the tabs Status,Hardware, Options and Monitor
in 2.0 you get:
Summary which is like status but with more information
Hardware which is far quicker to navigate and change things than in 1.x
Options which works just as good as 1.x
Console no need to open a new window, I have enough windows open on my PC each day, thank you Proxmox team for this!
Backup and Permissions are not yet implemented and I am not sure where the Monitor is

I think the new interface is far superior to 1.x.

The only bad thing I can think to say is too much of the same or similar shade of blue.
For example the active tab is only slightly different than the non-active tab, I prefer it is more obvious.

The Old Webinterface was realy very ugly!
The New looks pretty nice and modern.
I dont think the Developement is on the wrong way. When they make so forward soon is Proxmox same how ESXI ;-)
But realy some Features i missing at the moment:

-Backup Feature
-Iso Upload
-Add more as 6 Bridges to an Guest
-Graphs in Interface not very stable ( shows wrong Ram Usage on all VMs)
The Rest is very good, and runs for an Beta very Stable.

Console no need to open a new window, I have enough windows open on my PC each day, thank you Proxmox team for this!

Sorry, but we decided to remove that feature. (manly because of uncertain fears that we can't do that with other protocols like spice).

gab.dab, you should use vmware and you will understand what is ugly and chaotic...
and deadly slow...

To me Proxmox 2.0 seems a big improvement, especially in the web interface speed responce.
Keep up the work.
Great job

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!