Using PVE 4 with ZFS and LXC

rflaherty

Jun 18, 2015
I just fired up a new ProxMox PVE 4.0 server with ZFS and followed the proxmox instructions on how to restore my OpenVZ containers to it. I scp'ed the file over to /var/lib/vz/dump and then attempted to restore it using the pct restore command, but I get an error:

Allocating group tables: 0/64 done
Writing inode tables: 0/64 done
Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
Multiple mount protection is enabled with update interval 5 seconds.
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: 0/64
Warning, had trouble writing out superblocks.TASK ERROR: command 'mkfs.ext4 -O mmp xxx-disk-2.raw' failed: exit code 144

I created a ZFS Rpool on my local ZFS storage, but I am unable to restore the VM onto the ZFS pool. Trying to upload a backup to the pool throws an error "cannot upload to zfs pool". How can I restore my VM to the ZFS pool? Mods: I am new here so feel free to move this thread if needed.

Trying to upload a backup to the pool throws an error "cannot upload to zfs pool". How can I restore my VM to the ZFS pool? Mods: I am new here so feel free to move this thread if needed.

Please upload the backup file to local storage, and specify the zfs storage only when you restore.

I am using the command "pct restore", what option to I have to append so that I can specify the storage location. Essentially, it creates the .raw disk image file on local storage, but fails to create the disk. I also cannot upload a backup to the local storage via the Web GUI, it gives the error "cannot upload, file type backup not allowed"

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using the command "pct restore", what option to I have to append so that I can specify the storage location. Essentially, it creates the .raw disk image file on local storage, but fails to create the disk. I also cannot upload a backup to the local storage via the Web GUI, it gives the error "cannot upload, file type backup not allowed"

I will also note that the ZFS pool does not show up as an option even when creating LXC container from a template.

no_pool_proxmox.PNG

I am using the command "pct restore", what option to I have to append so that I can specify the storage location.

--storage

I also cannot upload a backup to the local storage via the Web GUI, it gives the error "cannot upload, file type backup not allowed"

You need to allow backups on local storage (configure storage content).

I will also note that the ZFS pool does not show up as an option even when creating LXC container from a template.

templates and backups are tar files, and needs a directory storage (for example 'local' storage).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!