Using PBS to backup only specific folder

Mirmanium

Aug 14, 2020
Hi community :)

I am really impressed about PBS. Perform backups of VMs are amazingly fast and reliable so congratulations on such amazing product. Also to restore VMs just works!
With that said, I would like to know if there is a way to backup only a specific folder using PBS. I have hard drives with data only in ext4/ZFS and would like to backup only some of their folders.
Is this feasible? I have not seen specific option since you require to backup VM. I know I can attach that disk to the VM but not sure if this is exactly the way to proceed.
Looking for something similar than other backup options as UrBackup or Elkabackup, where you can specify folders to backup only.

Thank you,

Last edited:
RJ45 already has given an example on how to do such a thing by using the proxmox-backup-client. This will work fine but isn't that noob friendly because it only supports CLI usage. The proxmox-backup-client also only works for linux so not really useful if you need to backup folders from a Win guest/host.
For daily/weekly folder backups you could let cron run that proxmox-backup-client oneliner at fixed intervals.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your replies.
I have been playing with your cli command and works. I am not worry for win folders, mines are on linux ones so no prob.
I guess I need to have proxmox-backup-client in the same machine than source folder to backup, right? or you can somehow to access it over ssh for instance?

RJ45 already has given an example on how to do such a thing by using the proxmox-backup-client. This will work fine but isn't that noob friendly because it only supports CLI usage. The proxmox-backup-client also only works for linux so not really useful if you need to backup folders from a Win guest/host.
For daily/weekly folder backups you could let cron run that proxmox-backup-client oneliner at fixed intervals.
For win/guest folders you simply share out the folder at a CIFS/SMB share and mount it on PBS using linux SMB mounts, works like a charm

For win/guest folders you simply share out the folder at a CIFS/SMB share and mount it on PBS using linux SMB mounts, works like a charm
What happens with files that are already opened? Is SMB using VSS to be able to access files that are opened for writing or will those files fail? Because simple stuff like using the explorer or rsync won't work here to backup my folders. I really need to use backup clients that use VSS like Veeam so the backup won't fail because files couldn't be opened because they are already in use.

Hi!
I have a home server with Proxmox installed. On it are installed some disks in bind mount on an LXC Container with Ubuntu. The disks contain a large number of files of various types (audio, video, photos, documents) of which only a few are really important.
I already make a cloud backup of this data, but I would like to have a local backup as well.
For this purpose I would like to use an HP N54L microserver on which I would like to install Proxmox Backup Server, which together with PVE already installed on the other server seems the best solution.
The problem is that I am only interested in backing up specific folders, whereas backups of VMs and LXCs are not particularly important.
Reading this post I still don't understand whether this is possible or not.
The post by rj45 shows an example from the command line, but I don't quite understand how to use it. Is it really only possible via CLI? If so, could you point me to a site where I can find more comprehensive documentation or a tutorial? Is there a simpler method?
Thank you for your attention!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!