Using OVMF for VMs

kokoticek

Jun 7, 2010
So I tried for the first time in life to install Proxmox (latest 5.3) finally by using UEFI in the physical server; it seemingly did work with UEFI on, albeit not with secure boot (guess it's not Proxmox's policy to pay Micro$$oft for a signed shim file...)

But now I'm wondering if it's now safe enough to use OVMF over SeaBIOS for all VMs I install (until now I usually have Centos/Debian servers and one or another Windows 10 VM).

Is using OVMF now safe enough even for production environments?
Or why is SeaBIOS still the default?

Thanks.

Hi,

OVMF is the base UEFI implementation and the most Hardware manufacturer use it as the base of there custom UEFI.
So yes it is safe to use.

Thanks very much.

Then finally,
a) docs say one needs an "efi disk" in order tot use OVMF. If installing a brand new VM from scratch, either Linux or Windows, do I still need to add that disk beforehand? Can't OS installer do that?
b) any reason SeaBIOS is still the default?

Last edited:
You have to add the disk before you installing the OS. And yes SeaBIOS is the default, because of some Bugs with OVMF. On is: After enabling Memory Hotplug, the vm can't start anymore.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!