Using optical drive with SSD to boot proxmox

nitdawg1

Feb 20, 2021
So, I recently purchased a SSD HDD Caddy Case Adapter for CD/DVD-ROM Optical Bay for my Dell R610. The purpose was to install Proxmox on the SSD and allow the other drives on the RAID controller to be broken up into 2 virtual disk. I would use the two virtual disk for ISO and VM local storage. When I go through the install process I'm able to install proxmox on the SSD drive however, when I try to boot from that SSD the boot up errors out every single time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Others seem to get the SSD from an optical drive adapter to work. I'm not sure if this is an issue for this forum or somewhere else.

Boot error:
1668743808015.jpeg

Last edited:
Might be a Problem with the adapter or the SSD.
Older gear (like the r610) also sometimes have issue with boot from USB. Have you upgraded the BIOS with latest version?

Might be a Problem with the adapter or the SSD.
Older gear (like the r610) also sometimes have issue with boot from USB. Have you upgraded the BIOS with latest version?
The BIOS is on the latest version. The RAID controller has an available update however, I'm not trying to utilize that for OS booting.

Try another adapter or disk/SSD
There are tons of chips out there and some just don't play nicely with all combinations of gear.
It also may just have a defect

Try another adapter or disk/SSD
There are tons of chips out there and some just don't play nicely with all combinations of gear.
It also may just have a defect
Problem finally solved...I feel silly that this was the fix. I switched the boot mode from BIOS to UEFI and everything worked properly. I now boot proxmox from a SSD in an optical drive adapter and I utilize the 2.5TB on the RAID controller for VM/CT storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!