Using opnsense/pfsense as router for private network

iridium

Apr 7, 2024
Hi all, I'm trying to setup opnsense as a router for a private network inside of proxmox. I have gotten it working (config below), but see some odd behaviors. When I add new VMs on the private network using either static IPs or DHCP, they have no network access outside the private network until I restart the opnsense services. Once I do that, everything is great. I'm trying to figure out what could be causing this.

Some details on the setup:

vmbr1 is a bridge on 192.168.10.1/24, bound to a physical interface. This will be the WAN.
vmbr2 is a bridge on 172.16.1.1/16, not bound to an interface. This will be the LAN.

opnsense is configured with both of these interfaces, wan and lan set appropriately.

If I start a new VM on vmbr2 and use a static IP such as 172.16.1.5, it will be able to ping 172.16.1.1, but won't have access to the wan network.

However, if I restart opnsense services, everything starts working.

Any idea what might be causing this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!