Using NFS Share from NAS as Backup Target

ploxxer

Dec 31, 2021
I am currently running TrueNAS Scale on an R720xd and would like to use some of my excess storage there as a home for my Proxmox Backup Server backup data.

Would there be any issues I may encounter by mounting an NFS share to the PBS host at `/mnt/share_name` and then using that NFS share as the storage I have PBS back up to? I have had a friend mention something about NFS desyncs but am not sure if there's anything I really need to worry about.

On this note, is there any sort of work around that's required to get PBS working with an NFS share or should it be a fairly straightforward process, as if it were regular on-host storage?

Did nothing special and had never problems. But performance isn't great because of the NFS overhead and additional latency from the network.
For. PBS you want as much IOPS as possible so local SSDs would be better if you can afford it.

But one thing I don't like about NFSv3 is the missing authentification, so everyone in the same network could delete all your backups...not great if some client gets hit by ransomware. So might be useful to create a dedicated vlan just for your PBS to TrueNAS connection.

Last edited:
Did nothing special and had never problems. But performance isn't great because of the NFS overhead and additional latency from the network.
For. PBS you want as much IOPS as possible so local SSDs would be better if you can afford it.

But one thing I don't like about NFSv3 is the missing authentification, so everyone in the same network could delete all your backups...not great if some client gets hit by ransomware. So might be useful to create a dedicated vlan just for your PBS to TrueNAS connection.
Using the regular old backup method within Proxmox, I'm able to back up to an NFS share without issue.

When I try to use PBS, however, I encounter issues like this:

Code:
()
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 128 --storage pbs --mode snapshot --node pluto --all 0 --mailnotification failure
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 128 (qemu)
INFO: Backup started at 2022-03-23 23:58:03
INFO: status = running
INFO: VM Name: svr-graylog-01
INFO: include disk 'scsi0' 'zfs-pluto-01:vm-128-disk-0' 500G
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: creating Proxmox Backup Server archive 'vm/128/2022-03-24T04:58:03Z'
INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-freeze' command
INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-thaw' command
ERROR: VM 128 qmp command 'backup' failed - backup register image failed: command error: unable to get shared lock - ENOLCK: No record locks available
INFO: aborting backup job
INFO: resuming VM again
ERROR: Backup of VM 128 failed - VM 128 qmp command 'backup' failed - backup register image failed: command error: unable to get shared lock - ENOLCK: No record locks available
INFO: Failed at 2022-03-23 23:58:09
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

Did you experience anything similar or know what might resolve it?

Edit:

Looks like this might be the solution? https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/b...ommand-error-unable-to-get-shared-lock.81966/

Last edited:
Followed the link at the bottom of the previous post and am now running into:

Code:
()
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 128 --storage pbs --mode snapshot --all 0 --mailnotification failure --node pluto
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 128 (qemu)
INFO: Backup started at 2022-03-24 00:13:25
INFO: status = running
INFO: VM Name: svr-graylog-01
INFO: include disk 'scsi0' 'zfs-pluto-01:vm-128-disk-0' 500G
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: creating Proxmox Backup Server archive 'vm/128/2022-03-24T05:13:25Z'
INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-freeze' command
INFO: issuing guest-agent 'fs-thaw' command
ERROR: VM 128 qmp command 'backup' failed - backup connect failed: command error: unable to open chunk store 'backups' at "/mnt/backups/.chunks" - No such file or directory (os error 2)
INFO: aborting backup job
INFO: resuming VM again
ERROR: Backup of VM 128 failed - VM 128 qmp command 'backup' failed - backup connect failed: command error: unable to open chunk store 'backups' at "/mnt/backups/.chunks" - No such file or directory (os error 2)
INFO: Failed at 2022-03-24 00:13:25
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

I recursively chown'd the backup directory for `backup:backup`, so I don't think it's a permissions issue

Got that problem with locking too on my TrueNAS core. I think I needed to switch from NFS4 to NFS3 protocol to make it working.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!