Using Multiple Ethernet Cards

limitx3m

Nov 6, 2012
Here's what I see in ProxMox

networka.png

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model

I've been reading this and I am a little confused. From what I gathered from:

Physical NIC (eg., eth1) cannot currently be made available exclusively for a particular KVM / Container , ie., without bridge and/or bond.

Means I can't use any of my ethernets cards exclusively to a container or KVM.

What's the best course of action? I noticed that my eth's are all eth0:x. They also share the same Hwaddr.

I'm just confused, and not sure what I should do next to get the virtual network setup with my situation.

Hopefully someone can help and respond soon!

Thank you!

Hi,
what do you want to do?
Normaly you bridge eth0 to vmbr0 and use an IP on vmbr0 - the VMs are bridged to vmbr0 and use an IP from that network.

If you have several networks, you define more bridges (like vmbr1 or vmbr200 for vlan200) and assing another NIC (eth1) to that bridge.
You can also use vlan-tagging (but should not use tagged and untagged traffic on one nic) to use many networks on one NIC.

Udo

Hi,
what do you want to do?
Normaly you bridge eth0 to vmbr0 and use an IP on vmbr0 - the VMs are bridged to vmbr0 and use an IP from that network.

If you have several networks, you define more bridges (like vmbr1 or vmbr200 for vlan200) and assing another NIC (eth1) to that bridge.
You can also use vlan-tagging (but should not use tagged and untagged traffic on one nic) to use many networks on one NIC.

Udo

Thank you for the fast reply!

I really don't know that much about networks and how to set them up. I only had one ip address before for one site, so I want to use different IPs for certain KVMs and Containers. On certain virtualizations there will be game servers, on others there will be a few websites, and on others there may only be a dedicated ip.

So if I understand you correctly,

* I can create a bridge for eth(0) - vmbr(0).
To do this from the screen, all I would need to do is take the information from eth(0) then double click vmbr0, place eth(0)'s information (gateway, subnet, and ipaddress), place eth(0) as the bridge port, click autostart, and save.
Afterwords I remove eth(0)'s IP address and gateway, because vmbr(0) is bridged to eth(0)?

Then if I want to do this with the others (ex eth0:1), I would do the same? Would I use the same gateway for them as I did for eth(0)?

Sorry, I'm trying to learn and I've been reading a lot of forums for Linux because I'm new to it, and sometimes the answer or question isn't fleshed out for someone else to understand what's going on too. So I'm just verifying so that I understand and someone else can understand as well.

Thank you!

-L

I still have not figured out how to configure the network.

I started an OpenVZ with a Debian OS and got it to come up.

Now I'm in the Virtual Debian Terminal, but I have no internet access.

When I created the OpenVZ containers I selected "Routed Mode (venet)" and then placed an IP using eth0 and I also made one using eth0:1.

Neither have access to the outside world.

I have not changed
networka.png
from the first post.

Could someone explain to me how to get this container to connect to the internet? Thank you!

If anyone is willing to help me personally through PM, then I would appreciate that. I would like to make a walkthrough that explains in detail about what is going on and how to do it (if I can get it working). Like a "Proxmox for dummies".

When I had a Xen Server, my networking was already set up and I could just open containers as needed.

Last edited:
I still have not figured out how to configure the network.

I started an OpenVZ with a Debian OS and got it to come up.

Now I'm in the Virtual Debian Terminal, but I have no internet access.

When I created the OpenVZ containers I selected "Routed Mode (venet)" and then placed an IP using eth0 and I also made one using eth0:1.

Neither have access to the outside world.

I have not changed
View attachment 1173
from the first post.

Could someone explain to me how to get this container to connect to the internet? Thank you!

If anyone is willing to help me personally through PM, then I would appreciate that. I would like to make a walkthrough that explains in detail about what is going on and how to do it (if I can get it working). Like a "Proxmox for dummies".

When I had a Xen Server, my networking was already set up and I could just open containers as needed.
Hi,
if you use routed mode you can't use an IP which you allready use on the host (like on eth0:1).
Unfortunality I'm not an expert with venet - I allways use bridged networks.
If you have an network (like 11.22.33.40/29) where you can use IPs from multiple mac-adresses, you can do something like:
eth0 -> vmbr0 - 11.22.33.41

create vm/ct with briged network (bridged to vmbr0) and use 11.22.33.42, 11.22.33.43,... inside the VMs.

Udo

PS: After changing the network-config you must reboot to enable this config. (this can by also done without reboot on the cli, but is more for experiences linux user).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!