Using internal network for cluster

nucode

Aug 5, 2015
Hi,

It seems proxmox defaults on using the public ip address.
Is changing this to internal only way to do via hosts? Do i need just hostname or FQDN (hostname.domain.com) entries in there?
What are the drawbacks?

Change hosts files and reboot to make the changes, or is there a way to do without reboot?

Why is this so? why not just use the IP address specified on the pvecm add command?

Hi,

It seems proxmox defaults on using the public ip address.
it depends how it is setup, but yes it takes the ip what are given in the installer with will applied to eth0.
Is changing this to internal only way to do via hosts? Do i need just hostname or FQDN (hostname.domain.com) entries in there?
Yes that's all!
What are the drawbacks?
the Webgui is on the new Address
Change hosts files and reboot to make the changes, or is there a way to do without reboot?
No reboot necessary, assumed the ip address exist and works on your host.

it depends how it is setup, but yes it takes the ip what are given in the installer with will applied to eth0.

Yes that's all!
the Webgui is on the new Address
No reboot necessary, assumed the ip address exist and works on your host.

Webgui will move to the internal IP?
Hmm, that means i need outside cluster VM for VPN, or a VPN device to access then, or nginx reverse proxy.

I have already added the nodes to the cluster, so if i change the hosts entries, it will move to using those address without reboot?

No sorry this would only work if you change first host and then create a cluster.
but i will check something and give you the answer where you can change the cluster communication.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!