Using GlusterFS w/ Proxmox -- Snapshot Attempts Crash VM

VingInMedina

Jul 15, 2024
Medina, Ohio
vinginmedina.com
I am running a Proxmox 8.2.4 cluster of 3 nodes on 3 Dell 710 (repurposed GSA) servers. I have set up a GlusterFS volume using the local storage on each of the three nodes. I have gluster-server 11.1-1 installed. I am using a separate 1Gb Ethernet network for the gluster peers. (There are 4 NICs on each server, and I am using one NIC on a private network for gluster). I wan't to set up shared storage so that I can move VMs between the nodes. The RAID controllers on the servers will not allow me to pass-through the disks, so setting up Ceph is not an option.

I have the IP addresses for the Gluster NICs in the /etc/hosts file of each node. The peers, volume and GlusterFS storage for the cluster was set up using those hostnames.

Everything appears to be functioning. I moved the storage for one VM onto the GlusterFS storage using the qcow2 storage type and started the VM. I then tried to take snapshot of the VM. Immediately, the VM stopped running and the snapshot attempt failed because the VM was no longer active. I am able to start the VM again, but when I try to take a snapshot, the VM immediately crashes. I've not been unable to find anything in any of the logs to indicate what is failing.

I haven't been able to find anything indicating the version of Gluster that is compatible with Proxmox 8.2.4.

Is there some incompatibility that is making what I am attempting to do impossible? It is possible that I don't have Gluster configured properly?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!