Using Ceph to host LXC Containers

Sep 19, 2019
Is it possible to use Ceph to host the disk of an LXC container ?
When I add Ceph as a cluster storage it is only available for "VZDump..", "ISO Images" , "Container template" and "Snippets".
I am using Proxmox 6, with ceph installed in the same cluster nodes using the web gui.

Is it possible to use Ceph to host the disk of an LXC container ?
yes.

When I add Ceph as a cluster storage it is only available for "VZDump..", "ISO Images" , "Container template" and "Snippets".

That's if you add a CephFS storage. If you add a Ceph RBD pool then you can place CTs and VMs on that one.
(CephFS is a normal Filesystem, and Ceph RBD are block devices)

Thanks.
Is is possible to add a Ceph RBD pool from the Proxmox web GUI?
If not, how can I configure that? (I am nw to Proxmox and Ceph configuration)

I have tried to follow the instructions: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_RBD
Adding the following storage description to /etc/pve/storage.cfg:

rbd: ceph-rbd
content rootdir,images
krbd 1
monhost ......
pool ceph-rbd
username admin

It appears as an stoage now, but when I tried to restore a container I get this error:

TASK ERROR: unable to restore CT 137 - error with cfs lock 'storage-ceph-rbd': rbd error: rbd: listing images failed: (95) Operation not supported

Last edited:
Is is possible to add a Ceph RBD pool from the Proxmox web GUI?
Yes sure. If you did not created any Pool yet just select a Node and go to Ceph -> Pools, click the Create Button there. "Add as Storage" should be preselected, give it a name and you should be good for a basic setup.

If you already created a Ceph Pool and just want to add it as Ceph Storage go to Datacenter -> Storage, Click on "Add -> RBD" here the pools should be already listed if this is a PVE Ceph cluster (and not a external Ceph Cluster)

I created the RDB (PVE) using the web GUI and everything is working now. I removed the ceph-rdb storage that I created earlier.
It is a little confusing at the beginning, but thank to your help I was able to configure it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!