[SOLVED] users are unable to enable tfa for their account

Mar 18, 2024
east of muc
hello,

my users can no longer configure tfa for their accounts - it used to work for months and i am not aware of any related configuration changes.

after user navigated to tfa -> add -> totp, a qr-code is displayed, user scans it with his mobile device and enters the auth-code displayed on the mobile device into the 'verify code' field, and password into the 'verify password' field but the ok button keeps beeing greyed out and hence is inactive.

we tried using different users using different mobile devices and different browsers.

tfa enabled users can log in using the verify code displayed on their mobile device.

clocks are sychronized.

version: Virtual Environment 8.2.3

did i miss anything? what can i do to reenable users to activate tfa for their acconts?

thanks in advance for any hints, gustav

Last edited:
I have not worked with 2FA much (but did quickly check on my setup and there it did light up the add button), but the first thing I would personally check would be if you, from the root-account specifically, can setup 2FA for a (different) user.

Also maybe a silly thought, if they first click outside of any of the boxes to deselect the input, does it then light up, or put a red border around one of the fields (for example the non-optional description field)? And for the password, is it auto-filled by the browser or manually typed out?

Last edited:
I have not worked with 2FA much (but did quickly check on my setup and there it did light up the add button), but the first thing I would personally check would be if you, from the root-account specifically, can setup 2FA for a (different) user.

Also maybe a silly thought, if they first click outside of any of the boxes to deselect the input, does it then light up, or put a red border around one of the fields (for example the non-optional description field)? And for the password, is it auto-filled by the browser or manually typed out?
solved by myself: the field 'Description' must not be empty. i feel, this is a change compared to older ve-versions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!