User Rolls - administrator vs root

jgarrigues

Jun 1, 2022
Is there a way to grant administrator users access to the shell in ProxMox? The Administrator says it has full control but it really does not as you can not access the shell. the only account I can do that on is root. My coworkers and I want to be able to see when someone is making changes in the log and we keep needing to use the shell which require root login. As a result of this all we really are seeing is root doing things with no idea who is really doing them. Kind of defeats the point of having administrator users if they need to be root to do things.

hi,

The Administrator says it has full control but it really does not as you can not access the shell.
for shell access you need to create a user in "pam" realm and also create the same user on the machine, e.g. with useradd command. afterwards you can grant them sudo privileges.

Kind of defeats the point of having administrator users if they need to be root to do things.
there's ongoing effort to change that to some extent, where it'll be allowed to grant some root-only privileges to users with the help of a separate privilege -- though this is still in the works

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!