Used Storage Total less than sum of VMs

sflashet

May 22, 2024
Hi all I was trying to figure how much space I have left for VMs on my server. Both in the GUI and with "ZFS list" it states that I have only used 237GB with 663GB left; however the VMs together total over 700GB.
1716792388417.png
1716792431094.png
The information is the same in the GUI
1716792484441.png
1716792508773.png
Here is the output of df
1716792794173.png
How much space is really being taken up by the vms? Why is it only showing 200GB used? Thanks in advance!

Edit: To show that space inside the VM is being used here is one of the windows VMs

1716799224237.png

Last edited:
This will probably be due to thin-provisioning. So in fact the VMs disk's contain sparseness - unused areas - which the thin-provisioning knows about.
Check inside the VMs to see how much space is in-fact actually being used by each VM. Then make a total calculation, it should tally.

See these docs.

This will probably be due to thin-provisioning. So in fact the VMs disk's contain sparseness - unused areas - which the thin-provisioning knows about.
Check inside the VMs to see how much space is in-fact actually being used by each VM. Then make a total calculation, it should tally.

See these docs.
Thanks for your resonse. I should have mentioned this but I checked. One of the VMs for example is using 300GB of 400GB

ZFS gives you transparent compressen, for free :)

One random virtual disk of mine:
Code:
~# zfs get used,logicalused,compressratio  rpool/data/vm-7004-disk-0
NAME                       PROPERTY       VALUE  SOURCE
rpool/data/vm-7004-disk-0  used           19.9G  -
rpool/data/vm-7004-disk-0  logicalused    22.8G  -
rpool/data/vm-7004-disk-0  compressratio  1.15x  -
Inside of the guest 22.8 GB is used. It occupies 19.9 GB in the underlaying ZFS pool :)

Reactions: gfngfn256

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!