Use turnkey filshare with i.e. Turnkey Syncthing for samba share over internet

Amubis

Dec 4, 2022
As explained
I have a file server setup on proxmox using a turnkey template fileserver. It's setup and files are being copied over.
I need to access this from the outside, how do I do it without SMB share over internet.
My thought was to use the Syncthing or owncloud to sync it between clients.
What are my options ?
The goal is to have the file server run on it's own and syncthing ( or whatever alternative) separate from it. This will allow for easy management though I suspect setting up might be troublesome.

For best security I would host a VPN server and then use a VPN client to access your LAN over the internet. Then you can access your SMB shares from everywhere and no one else can access it.

For best security I would host a VPN server and then use a VPN client to access your LAN over the internet. Then you can access your SMB shares from everywhere and no one else can access it.
so which one do I use ( would like a lxc instead of an virtual machine please. Observium ?

For best security I would use a VM, so you got the better isolation. Wireshark Wireguard is quite performant and easy to setup.

Last edited:
For best security I would use a VM, so you got the better isolation. Wireshark is quite performant and easy to setup.
Can you elaborate a bit more please sir? I know wire shark for network monitor - not VPN - and openvpn doesn't want to play ball - I've doen hundreds of setup guides - refuse to work and the CA certificate function doesn't seem to work right and no documented work around.
The biggest problem I currently face is time. I needed this to work Yesterday. Here I am with no sleep for 3 days and 0 results

Jup, thanks. Exactly that.
I have tried setting up turnkey wireguard - but my life has not been more chaotic. What am I missing here?
There is no guide for this setup and no I can't get the damn thing to work.

Please anyone - assistance.
I got to the point of CA exporting - but there everythign dies including my brain so I'm out.

I need help.... please....anyone

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!