Use proxmox container as a fileserver

R

rolfbeethoven

I would like to segregate my current jack-of-all-trades (joat) server into a proxmox driven set of servers. I'm prototyping the new setup on a backup server and have a question about how to set up the container that is meant to be the fileserver.

I would like to have one of the containers dedicated to running a fileserver to serve my network of linux, windows and mac machines. Right now I have a samba server that shares directories on my joat server. On the proxmox server that I'm in the process of setting up, I successfully mounted the cifs folder on the main node and used bind to make that available inside the container. In the container I installed the ubuntu standard turnkey template, updated apt-get, installed samba and set the samba configuration similar to the running configuration on the jack-of-all-trades (joat) server. However, when I try to access the container file server from the xubuntu file manager, I can't see the new container driven samba share. I can see the joat samba share and a windows share, but the container samba share doesn't show up. I also can't mount the samba share on another linux machine separate from the proxmox server.

I repeated the same install process and configuration on the main proxmox node and voila! I can see and mount the proxmox node samba share from other computers.

I searched this forum and googled for ways to use an openvz container as a fileserver, but I have only seen references to cifs not being available in the container and the need for using bind to access samba shares from within the container. I want to access the samba share of the container from outside the container. It seems like it should be possible, especially since there is a template called ubuntu fileserver.

Is there something about the openvz container that precludes its use as a fileserver that can be accesses from other linux, windows and mac machines?

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!