Use only auth SMTP

towerman

Jan 22, 2019
Italy
Hi guys,

I would like to use PMG as an outgoing gateway, accepting only auth SMTP connection to the server.
How can I do that?

Thanks

You mean SMTP Auth? I won’t believe PMG is designed therefor. If you only want to allow special connections, you need to allow the networks in the mail configured of PMG.
I mean that I want that only email addresses that use the authentication on my mail server, can use PMG ;)

I mean that I want that only email addresses that use the authentication on my mail server, can use PMG ;)

PMG is no outgoing server by himself. The normal setup requires, that you have a mail server in front of PMG for outgoing mails. So you need to set up SMTP auth on your mail server. You need to allow just this server in PMG under networks. As outgoing mails go through another port on PMG, noone will usually go in error through PMG. If you would like to take sure, you should bring PMG behind a firewall or install a firewall on PMG and limit access to PMG outgoing SMTP port only to this mail server, you need to configure correct to only allow SMTP auth.

PMG is no outgoing server by himself. The normal setup requires, that you have a mail server in front of PMG for outgoing mails. So you need to set up SMTP auth on your mail server. You need to allow just this server in PMG under networks. As outgoing mails go through another port on PMG, noone will usually go in error through PMG. If you would like to take sure, you should bring PMG behind a firewall or install a firewall on PMG and limit access to PMG outgoing SMTP port only to this mail server, you need to configure correct to only allow SMTP auth.
Thanks, it was my idea.
I will do like you said ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!