Use MacOSX for testing purposes on a vm

Sir-robin10

Apr 10, 2020
Hello

So I have not that much experience with vm's and stuff but I can run like a winsows server etc... from my proxmox installation, so I was wondering if I could like run mac OS on proxmox.

I have an .iso file from a friend of mine, which works like a charm on his virtual box. Now when I just configure my VM for macOS as I did for my windows VM, it doesn't work. It never boots into the ISO

Here are my settings I used for the VM;

GMyuWHV.png

GpdU6UJ.png

5jNfzVp.png

gqUJhBs.png

UwfqKOR.png

33wwaG4.png

Then the overview;

Kj2UPSU.png

This does create the VM as expected in ProxMox, however, when I boot the VM, I get the following;

TMGcSyr.png

From that point, it just keeps booting....

Anyone who has an idea on how I could fix this?

Qemu couldn't read from the ISO image, it may be faulty.

We cannot give advice to run MacOS on non-MacOS hardware, which is not allowed due to their EULA, but there exist a lot of projects out there that work flawlessly. Just search for it and you will get lucky.

Your VM config is wrong
Use q35 and OVMF bios
then you need a proper iso (it is an img /iso) of your preferred bootloader
I use Opencore which I prefer to clover

Following the giude from Nick Sherlock I tried to install a macOS catalina VM using opencore. But I only come forward until I must switch to the macos-installer in the opencore boot picker after the first reboot (the macos base system is preselected) because I do not get access to the keyboard/mouse in the boot picker.

My .conf entries are added:

args: -device isa-applesmc,osk="..." -smbios type=2 |
-cpu host,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,+hypervisor,+invtsc
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: cdn
bootdisk: ide2
cores: 4
cpu: Penryn
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-104-disk-1,size=128K
ide0: local:iso/Catalina-installer.iso,cache=unsafe,size=2096496K
ide2: local:iso/OpenCore.iso,cache=unsafe
machine: q35
memory: 8192
name: Catalina
net0: vmxnet3=0A:38:86:53:93:8B,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: other
sata1: local-lvm:vm-104-disk-0,cache=writeback,size=64G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=63a484c7-3558-46f3-8e11-118f0e215fe3
sockets: 1
usb0: host=046d:c714 [Logitech DiNovo]
usb1: host=046d:c713 [Logitech DiNovo]
usb2: host=046d:c024 [USB cable mouse]
vga: qxl

EDIT:
Now it is possible but cannot really say why.

Last edited:
Did you ever figure out what your issue was? I have the same problem...
once the initial install is done I cannot move the mouse to select "macOS Installer"
<Tab> on the keyboard does not work either.
The only key I can select is <enter> which takes me back to the "MacOS Utilities"proxmox_mac_install.jpg

You should be able to just only use your keyboard at that stage. Never figured out what the problem was, but I have a working macos vm now :)
I think some args parameters are missing and the USB keyboard and mouse can not be attached during the boot process:

-smbios type=2 -device usb-kbd,bus=ehci.0,port=2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!